Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,806   Posts: 1,581,387   Online: 1090

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Denis,
    If you have an auto mechanic's supplier in the neighborhood, see if they have any fine valve grinding compound. There are two basic types, grease based and a water soluble base.

I'd have mentioned this sooner but I was distracted.

Shooter
    35mm
    Years ago I made a ground glass screen for a Medium format camera by getting two pieces of glass the right thickness and the same size and actually rubbing them together with fine white quarz sand between the sheets. A little water was added and the whole process only took 30 mins. The biggest problem is getting it even at the edges. This med format Rollie look-a-like still has one of the screens I made and it is working fine (although not very often now).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is really good stuff, cheap as can be and very, very fine. Used for making telescope lenses and mirrors.

http://www.willbell.com/ATMSupplies/ATM_Supplies.htm

Marek
    Marek Warunkiewicz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any astronomy hobbyist site should be able to direct you to telescope making supplies.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'd be happy to send you some of mine, just PM me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any motor rebuilding shop (or factory maintenance shop) will have a small can of lapping compound around which is a fine abrasive paste used to polish or lap valves and other finely machined mating pieces to improve the fit or whatever. Perhaps they would give you a little for your project. Clover Lapping Compound (mentioned above) is a popular brand in the US. It may be available everywhere?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dennis, another thought would be very fine 3M sandpaper used to repair auto paint. Any supplier that sells auto paint will carry sheets ranging from say 1000 grit up to about 2000 grit (at least in the US). Again, it is not an expensive product. Here you can buy 1 small sheet at a time for say $1.00.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can find a local amateur telescope maker who grinds their own mirrors they could probably help.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin