Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,308   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help: Need some #600 grit for making ground glass...

Hi,

I'm trying to make a (better) ground glass for an old 4x5 reducing back I have, but I'm not quite happy with the results, compared to my other 4x5 camera (Horseman Woodman).
    It seems the grinding powder I have is too coarse...

Now, I've checked locally for suitable silicon carbide (?), but all the suppliers I contacted sell minimum quantities which are waaaay too big (and expensive) for me. I've also checked online in USA and elsewhere, and managed to find a few sellers, but the shipping costs to Croatia are really expensive (orders of magnitude more expensive than the product itself...).

So, I'm asking other DIY types here: perhaps someone has some #600 grit silicon carbide that they would be willing to ship to Croatia? I need a relatively small quantity (enough to make several GGs), which would most likely fit into a standard-size envelope (3-4 ounces, i.e. about 0.1 kg at the most should be more than enough, I guess...).

Of course, I'm willing to pay for the material and shipping - and I suppose the shipping should be much less than the standard $45-$50 the online sellers are asking

I'm not sure why they charge so much for shipping: perhaps the silicon carbide requires some special forms to be filled or something? It's not as if it's a hazardous substance, AFAIK....

Thanks in advance,

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Thanks, but I'm generally wary of web sites which require me to register just to be able to see what they offer.
    Even after registering, all I was able to see was a spinning circle....
    So, thanks, but that didn't help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Denis,

I'm not sure how you intend to get an even abrasion but you might consider a dental supply or your dentist for pumice, carborunduim or aluminum oxide powders which should be available in different degrees of coarseness. There are airbrushes that are designed to spray abrasives as well. Glass can also be etched with hydrofluoric acid.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    Thanks, but I'm generally wary of web sites which require me to register just to be able to see what they offer.
    Even after registering, all I was able to see was a spinning circle....
    So, thanks, but that didn't help.
    Register? Something is wrong, there is no registration neccesary. McMaster Carr is an industrial supply company, I've been buying from them since the late 80s.
    Clicking on the link I posted should take you directly to the abrasives section of their online catalog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Register? Something is wrong, there is no registration neccesary.
    Perhaps they have a different policy for overseas visitors?
    Besides, I'm using Linux, and my browser is definitely NOT IE... This sometimes poses problems with IE-optimized sites. Nevermind - thanks for the suggestion.

Anyway, I've got some other suggestions, particularly from Ian, so I might be able to get some from ebay, after all - I managed to find some sellers who do not charge an arm and a leg for shipping
    My initial search was rather restricted somehow, chaning search terms on ebay yielded more results, so I might find something there, after all.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try some rock polishing grit. Comes in various grit fineness.

But loose powder in an envelope probably not a good idea, given biohazard concerns. A bit in a film canister or sealed plastic envelope shouldn't be an issue.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try this supplier on Ebay item number 251208546401. I have bought from them, they supply worldwide.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is re-packaged Clover compound. the grease base helps the cutting and washes away with soap and water.
    [URL="http://www.midwayusa.com/product/498161/wheeler-engineering-lapping-compound-600-grit-polishing-1-oz"]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Denis,
    I've bought grit from Gotgrit.com and was quite pleased with the service. I don't know about overseas shipping.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin