Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,075   Online: 1010

Shooter
    35mm

A kind help request about... math!

Hallo dears,
    doing calculation has never been my best skill, so I am here to kindly ask for a little help. I am purchasing a 6*7 graflex 120 magazine, that should be the base for building a pinhole fixed focal length camera.
    I already own a 0.2 mm pinhole, but trying out the usual pinhole calculation tool i was not able to get a focal distance that could give a wide angle of view and enough coverage for the negative.
    I can order a new pinhole if needed, but now i have no idea how to get a corret coverage of the negative and the FOV of a wide angle lens, something like a 24 or 35 mm on 135 format.
    thx for Your attention, have a nice day You all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which calculator did you use?
    using this one, you can input any number of variables yourselves, and being a 6x7 user myself, i knew you should use a focal length of 50mm. This will provide coverage seeing as the diameter of the image circle is focal length * 1.92, in this case 96mm, and you only need to cover 60 by 70mm.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    35mm
    it's the same calculator i used, but messed up a little with the diameter of the pinhole i already own, a 0.2 that won't fit my needs...
    okies, so a 50 mm focal length and a 0.3 pinhole will do. I need another pinhole then!

thank you very much, have a nice day

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can easily do with a 0.2 pinhole - it will just need a longer exposure time! No problem.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 0.2mm pinhole should be fine for about 40 to 50mm focal length. Some of us prefer such wider coverage in pinhole photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The 0.2mm pinhole should be fine for about 40 to 50mm focal length. Some of us prefer such wider coverage in pinhole photography.
    agree, me too, my doubt was circle wouldn't cover image frame.

let's suppose i'd set a focale length of 43/44mm, that is roughly the half of the negative diagonal (87mm), what would be the conseguent viewing angle?

another dumb question: i know the process to create a "sport viewfinder" (a frame of the correct dimension in the correct place); is there any simple way to build up or to reuse any optical VF?

thx again you all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When the focal length is half of the negative diagonal, the viewing angle will be 90 degrees, corner to corner. There will be considerable fall-off in illumination in the corners, but some photographers are happy with even wider coverage in pinhole photography.

A sport finder of the same size and proportions of the negative image can accurately frame the view if the eye is centered at the focal length behind the finder. Accurately positioning the eye is tricky. Adapting the viewfinder from other cameras may be more difficult; they rarely cover a really wide angle.

Shooter
    35mm
    mmm i don't like that fall off that much... i'd rather loose some degrees and get a more uniform coverage.
    Since i'm unable to figure it out, would it make a big difference between 50mm and 55mm?
    thank you JJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin