Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,040   Online: 1129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    +1 for Pliobond. But note that it comes with dire warnings about breathing fumes. Also, it does tend to separate in the bottle and needs to be shaken.

I have also found it at the hardware store (a more traditional one that seems to have one of everything).
    Yes, don't pour it in a bag and huff it.

The dire warnings are more for the benefit of lawyers the the guy replacing some leatherette on a camera, there's so little area to glue you don't need to worry about it. Unless you're cementing in batches of 50 or so.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 02-01-2013 at 10:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    Traditionally, shellac was used. I use gasket cement ... removed with alcohol.
    Ah, great, I was wondering where to get the stuff. From my limited experience German camera makers tended to use shellac and Japanese used pressure adhesive.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Traditionally bone glues were used, at least here in the UK (they do look like shellac).

The only problem with using Contact/Impact ahesives is sometimes the solvents can affect modern materials.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin