Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,896   Online: 988

Shooter
    35mm

touching up the AE-1 and AE-1 Program

Most are aware that the Canon AE-1 and it progeny, the AE-1 Program (and assorted siblings), have tops and bottoms made of plastic. Canon spent considerable R&D to 'fool' the public into thinking that those tops and bottoms were metal, as, back then, in the mid-70s, deviating from metal was anathema.

But, with time, the silver coating wears on parts, especially at the strap-lug area, revealing a rather ugly white plastic underneath. Are there any simple ways of touching up this plastic so it goes back to the original silver color? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's any help David the top and bottom plates are made of ABS plastic you might try one of these products http://www.ebay.in/itm/F-1-CHROME-SP...-/140748266373 but not forgetting to mask off the areas you don't want covered with masking tape.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-14-2013 at 10:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you benjiboy. It would be interesting also to hear what others say. There probably are many different answers. I am sure that I am not the first to query this. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Duct tape and gaffer tape come to mind. Otherwise try to match some automotive touch-up paint.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    The matte chrome finish is actually easier to fix with paint than shiny chrome. Bring the plate to automotive shop and they should be able to recommend which bright silver paints to use. If all fails you can still use black paint

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Testors has a matte silver paint. Hobby shop, plastic model paint. It's not going to be durable though.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

touching up the AE-1 and AE-1 Program

Really? Fooled me I've owned one for 18 years.. I'm going to look when I get home, I don't believe you :-p

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin