Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,394   Online: 904

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Suggestions for a faulty Pentax 67?

I've posted a couple of threads about this camera over the past few months.

I'm not prepared to badmouth the repairer - yet - as I'd like to send it back one last time. I'm not getting my hopes up.
    It's been sent to them three times for the same issue and each time I was told "it was fine when it left us". The problem is a sticky shutter btw.

It's partially fixed; the shutter now only sticks between 15th and 60th, so I'm getting away with most landscape work at slower speeds. Portraiture is (literally) a shot in the dark.
    I do have to wonder why they keep sending it back when the problem remains. What are they gaining when they know I have no choice but to send it back? Wasting my time & postage money and their own?
    There aren't any other options that I'm aware of for Pentax repairs - these guys have all the parts available.

Just to sum up the problem; the shutter dial isn't locking properly on 15/30/60/Bulb speed settings. When I nudge the dial, the shutter drops.

What can I do with this camera? I know I'll be cautioned against having a look inside the body myself, but I'm weary about sending it off to hear the same thing - and potentially unnecessary labour costs.
    I don't like the idea of selling it on for spares either, since it works under 60% of circumstances.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Quit beating a dead horse, you can send this guy the camera a hundred times with the same result! I would see about a camera repair manual, and repair myself. At least get some opinions from a few fella's from your neck of the woods, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet they are hoping you'd give up and go elsewhere. If you sent it 3 times and still not fixed, or come back with different issues each time, it is clear indication that they either don't care or don't know how to do it correctly. Sending it one more time won't resolve the issue. If it did, it will purely by chance.

At this point, I would be demanding my money back or file a claim at a credit card company and send it elsewhere.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Find another reapir shop!. .when it is all fixed.. small claims court is your friend.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Goldilocks Asahi-Pentax and later, modern take, Pentax 67 bodies are very difficult repair jobs. Inside these behemoths is a lot like a watch and just as tiny. A heavy drop will dislodge, unlink or misalign all the business in there and it is very, very time consuming to track it down, which is why so many repair shops say they have fixed it but yet lack the tenacity to go really deep down, irrespective of the cost of doing so. The shutter dial speeds are controlled by resistors. It's a known fact that keeping the shutter cocked for an extended period of time will make shutter speeds inaccurate.

You would be paying a fortune for labour, not parts: inside are lengths of wire, resistors, a solitary capacitor, hundreds of springs, pawls, clips, cogs, gears and pulleys — all harking back to literally the horse and buggy era! The only concession to modern electronics is the little red LED on the top cover. The shutter and mriror operate by way of solenoids and magnets exchanging power through a rudimentary circuit of contacts all coming back to the the shutter speed dial. Mirror and shutter magnets will expectedly 'lose their grip', so to speak, over many years and thousands and thousands of exposures (there is a very vulnerable and known problematic magnet directly under the shutter button that often required deguassing). There are no integrated circuits or fancy electronics, just good old clockwork on a small and complex scale (a good reason why it's not DIY ). Pentax itself does not offer a repair service for any 67 bodies partly because such a repair would most likely well exceed the cost of the camera itself, but also that no spare parts in back inventory are available — they would have to be cannabalised from another 67 body. So... a 67 body playing up will essentially have to remain like that until you come across another as a replacement. It's all very gloomy and it's what I keep in mind with my own: the reality is these cameras are now very old and many, many will require repair quite extensive repairs at some stage.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Obviously you are in the UK but here in Canada Pentax has parts and still services almost everything. I have a 645N and lens with them right now. They only list the pre-1975 Pentax 6x7 as discontinued.

The only other place I have ever considered sending a camera is Eric Henderson in the United States who has an excellent reputation for repairing old Pentax cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could contact this company http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/repairs.htm but as with any camera of that age it will probably cost more that it's worth on the open market to have it fully serviced, you have to make the decision basically if having a reliable working camera is worth more to you than the money.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-18-2013 at 06:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A used P67 body in "ex" condition from KEH lists for $364. If you're looking at that kind of expense for repair, consider getting a different body. PDJ's description of the complexity of the thing would deter me from having mine repaired except by Pentax if they even offer the service in the US.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've actually just bought the 67 body from 10speeduk. Hopefully this will keep me going for a while. Thanks for the post, Poisson. I'm starting to understand why they are relatively cheap and unpopular. It's just a shame that it's so easy to get hooked on the images, isn't it? Knowing I have the good old reliable Hasselblad is the only thing giving me peace of mind at this point.

Any problems with the new body might mean the end of my Pentax adventures. It's been too long since I made pictures without that feeling of looming catastrophe.

And benjiboy, this is the place I dealt with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the pentaxforum.com website there are photos here and there showing magnified views of left and right of the mirror box (one somewhere also shows what's under the top cover), just to give an indication of what you're up against identifying things that are and may not be working correctly. Very few wires. I have not been able to find the photos but think they related to a sticking mirror, which is often caused by foam inside the mirror box deteriorating and making its way inside the camera where it drums up trouble. Re-skinning after repair is a very tedious and fraught process (very aggressive adhesive that hides tiny screws); DIY types often by new skins from eBay and cut to size. Personally and frankly, if my 67 starts misbehaving, it's take a deep breath and say, "thanks for the company, babe!" and discard it. And move on to something else. For now, it is "the chosen one", LOL!

A mint condition Pentax 67 body with L/ wooden grip was listed on eBay here in Australia yesterday, for AUD$750. Separate listings for a 105mm f2.8 ($250), 90mm f2.8 ($300), wooden grip etc appeared to have all been sold when I found them with 3 hours to go before finishing. I would have pounced on that camera as a second body if not for existing financial commitments (new tyres for car of the same cost) — or at least the 90mm lens, drrrrrat!!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin