Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,490   Online: 971

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the essex web site now brings up a blank page.

One suspects rumors of the company's demise are, sadly, not exaggerated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My essex hurts. Does yours?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dealt with them once and found out in the end that they were twice as expensive as other shops that I dealt with afterwards; And then they screwed the camera up so I can't use it without sending it to someone else. My feeling is they were heavily involved in AF and digital camera repairs and the techs were just not up to snuff on some of the old stuff. I'm not crying in my beer here, it's just better to call and talk to someone before you think that you can send anything anywhere and get it back repaired right.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Wayne, it's a sign of the times: if an outfit like Essex can falter you can bet that others will follow. The problem is this 'old stuff' that you talk about: the business from that simply cannot compete with the AF and digital stuff. There will ALWAYS be repairmen for the Leica and Contax and other sexy stuff but the Spotmatics and SRTs and Nikkormats will have to be abandoned. I have a feeling that there were many tears shed at Essex and Sandy, the storm, was the final denouement. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Following on David's comments: if I, as a soon-to-be retiree, decided that I'd become a camera repairman focusing on one or two particular makes, what do you think they should be, putting aside Leica and Hasselblad?

Shooter
    35mm
    The REAL problem, Trask, is that we do not want to hear what you just said. We 'deflect' that bad news. But it is TRUE news. Why should any repairman bother with the mass market gems of yesteryear? And I, myself, am guilty of such wishful thinking but posting this reality forces me to come to grips with the truth. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Following on David's comments: if I, as a soon-to-be retiree, decided that I'd become a camera repairman focusing on one or two particular makes, what do you think they should be, putting aside Leica and Hasselblad?
    There's a good reason to put aside Hasselblad - the buy-in to become a Hasselblad repair tech is quite high, as they require some specialized, proprietary tools to fully service the cameras that cost thousands of dollars apiece. I'd look at Rolleis - as far as I know they don't require expensive proprietary tools, and the market for servicing will bear the price you want to charge. Nikon would be the other brand - they have such a cult following (especially the earlier cameras like the F/F2/F3), and there are so many of them out there that you'll have plenty of demand for your services. Canon would be a third good option, for similar reasons to Nikon, although there would be less demand I think due to the general abandonment of the FD mount not only by Canon but by their customers as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I agree with FC. Probably Nikon first and for a second, uh, hard. Actually there's quite a few good guy's around servicing particular brands with alot of experience and alot of parts. I will say that of the type of repairs I've needed that were left undone for one reason or another, it was lens work being usually oil on blades, lens seals or dust, broken lens parts or meters especially in K1000's and Spotmatic's. Now if you want to collimate lenses you could possibly have a good business or you could set up a optical bench and test lenses.
    W.A. Crider

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin