Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,472   Online: 968

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Essex Camera Services: Out of Business?

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 I sent my Koni-Omega 58/5.6 Wide Omegon lens for shutter service via United States Postal Service Priority Mail to

Essex Camera Services, Inc.
    100 Amor Avenue Carlstadt, New Jersey 07072
    Phone: (201)-933-7272 Fax: (201)-933-7647
    info@essexcamera.com

The box arrived back at my home on Tuesday, February 19 with a “Return To Sender” sticker over the New Jersey address. In a blank space on the RTS sticker, the US Postal Service carrier in New Jersey had handwritten in ballpoint pen, “Company out of Business.”

The Essex Camera Services website is operating like always with no mention of problems. A further Internet search returned the following links indicating that ECS was a victim of the late October 2012 Hurricane Sandy that caused massive damage to the New Jersey-New York City area.

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00bEI8

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00bBYc?start=0 (in particular see page 2)

I sent an email message to info@essexcamera.com asking whether ECS intended to reenter business, possibly at a new location. Yahoo mail returned the following message:

“mailbox is full: retry timeout exceeded”

There was talk in some of the posts suggesting that the owner might restart the business, but currently it seems that Essex Camera Services is extinct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... at least you got it back!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, I'm fortunate to have gotten it back. Perhaps it's time to start learning about the workings of the Koni-Omega shutter so that I can give it the CLA it needs.

Shooter
    35mm
    My commiserations. It truly beggars belief if a company either out of business or still affected by the Hurrican Sandy to the extent that it cannot conduct its business cannot be bothered to place an announcement on its website. Anyway if it's not out of business it should be with this kind of customer care.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard the hurricane has hindered it's operations. I've sent them work before and they do a decent job.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why don't you send it to someone still in business? There are many others who are still in business.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Google-Earthing "100 Amor Avenue Carlstadt, New Jersey 07072", I see it's in an industrial building, not terribly near water, so flood damage to the shop might not be the problem.

Given that many, if not most camera repair shops I know of are one-older-person-with-a-helper type of operations, it's not implausible that the owner had a health problem. What's also possible is that the owner's home was destroyed during the hurricane, and that they're still living in a trailer or in a relative's living room. Other parts of the country may not know that rebuilding has been quite slow. The local media reported recently that only about a third of flood insurance claims have been paid, despite the passage of 3-4 months since the storm.

I'd cut the shop some slack, until an explanation materializes. Glad the OP got the package back. Send it to Flutot.

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Google-Earthing "100 Amor Avenue Carlstadt, New Jersey 07072", I see it's in an industrial building, not terribly near water, so flood damage to the shop might not be the problem.
    It is my understanding that the water also flew down from the sky and affected some non-coastal areas.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It is my understanding that the water also flew down from the sky and affected some non-coastal areas.
    True, although stormsurge was responsible for most flooding. Industrial areas like that are often in low-lying areas. I had prepared for flooding, e.g., sandbagging. We got wind, but very little rain. Lost a 100-yr-old apple tree and had the top 30 ft of a neighbor's 60 ft maple fly over my driveway. I'm to the north of NYC, though; NJ, to the south, got considerably more rain.

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's there website. No indicators that they're out of business.

http://www.camerarepair.com/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin