Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,018   Online: 783

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    You know what would be *really* cool? A 3-D printer that could work in optical-quality glass. I'm gonna go code myself up a Noctilux! In Contax mount!

...OK, I suppose that's a little ways off still. But I can think of lots of things that should be easy enough to print up in plastics with reasonable levels of precision: film holders, lensboards, mounting flanges, adapters. They won't have the durability of metal, nor the precision of professional machine-shop products, but in many settings that would be fine; certainly better than having a camera go into forced retirement because of an irreplaceable part.

-NT
    There are no irreplaceable parts, just irreplaceable craftsmanship.

Some parts would be extremely impractical/expensive to replace by fabrication, like the circuitry in a Canon A-1, but as long as you are talking metal parts, just about anything can be fabricated if you are willing to pay.

The trouble with 3-D printers is they don't use appropriate materials, and do not hold close tolerances. Yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought that a good use would be replacement parts! Now we won't run dry of those AE-1 battery lids!
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    I thought that a good use would be replacement parts! Now we won't run dry of those AE-1 battery lids!
    Actually that's a good example of the sort of thing printers may be great for. I could mill you a lid out of aluminium, though.
    Probably cost about as much as a nice clean Leicaflex SL.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I actually have access to one but I never tried it out. I was thinking it should be easy to print out things like lens caps, hoods, filter holders...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Could it make a plastic Leica II? But not sure that I would want one.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The gun-making thing is - while "true" - a misdirection; it's not a whole gun but the lower receiver for an AR-15, which would normally be a folded/stamped U-shaped piece of steel. You can also make such a receiver by beating a shovel flat, bending it up and doing a little cutting and the shovel is much more durable. The plastic printed receiver lasted for 6 rounds before breaking and it requires a proper bolt, barrel, etc in order to make an actual gun. Printing receivers is a weird oddity of US gun laws where the registration (such as it is(n't)) of a firearm somehow attaches to the receiver rather than the barrel or breech or anything actually functional, whereas barrels etc are freely available and uncontrolled.

And of course if you have machine tools, you can make a real gun. Apparently quite legal in the USA somehow.

As to cameras, for sure. You can already download plans to print out a holga-like camera that just needs a lens added. I fully intend to use the 3D printers at my local library to make repairs to my Jobo should that ever become necessary. I'm considering printing a 6x12 back...

Certainly you can print in metal; it works by laser-sintering layers of metal powder. I've seen a regeneratively cooled liquid rocket combustion chamber printed that way, with a design significantly more-complex (the internal cooling channels) than could be traditionally manufactured by casting or machining. And the Chinese have recently printed a 3m titanium wing spar. 3D printing of metals is serious business because you can make structures with internal voids while retaining strength; if you get it right then the result is lighter and stronger than any other manufacturing process.

Shooter
    Large Format

3 D printing

Accuracies to 2 - 4/1000's of an inch. Thin sections, I've seen wine glass on stem demonstrations. Prices coming down. Materials = plastics that can be melted and extruded one small dot at a time. As to making a gun.. not really. They managed to make a magazine.. equal to cheap stamped metal accuracies. Not equal to gun pressures and or gun fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cant wait for the 3d printer revolution. There are a number of techs co-developing right now, some using simple plastic extruders, others using lasers for curing plastics, and even others using projectors as a light source to cure the plastic as it forms in a bath. The last two I hear are the most precise and require the least amount of manual finishing and offer the greatest range of detail and design freedom when creating objects.

This would be awesome to make simple pinhole cameras with, or your own bulk loader, or custom camera grips even. It would be even more awesome if they could be used to form softer materials like silicone, or maybe use the 3d printer to make a simple mold and use that mold for the silicone, and bam you got custom fit eyecups, and soft grips for cameras, in any color your would like. Soft release buttons galore, film holders, etc etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    Someone's using the tech to make lens hoods:
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/AnalogueRobot
    I have one of these hoods for my CV 35/1.4 Nokton. It is a bit of a tight fit, but it is so much cheaper than a metal one of the same rectangular shape. I'm quite happy with it.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    35mm
    The guy in this link http://www.popphoto.com/how-to/2008/...oint-and-shoot built an expensive camera out of aluminum I think we can do most of the part out of plastic with a 3D printer. His design is quite thick and the plastic should be fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin