Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,436   Online: 815

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer?

Shooter
    35mm

3D Printer?

I heard on the radio that people are using relatively inexpensive 3D printer to make guns. Well I am not into making guns but can these be useful in making cameras and other photographic tools?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most certainly. While you're not going to be printing german precision engineered cameras, you will be able to do a good deal of things with them. Are you thinking of getting one?
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the "gun making" has been blown out of proportion. As far as I know, you could use it for some photographic purposes provided no metal parts are involved as the current technology is limited to plastics. Can't have much of a gun without chamber, receiver or slide mechanisms.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm certain they can even print metal, but those machines are expensive; though you can make a mold to cast metal in!
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know what would be *really* cool? A 3-D printer that could work in optical-quality glass. I'm gonna go code myself up a Noctilux! In Contax mount!

...OK, I suppose that's a little ways off still. But I can think of lots of things that should be easy enough to print up in plastics with reasonable levels of precision: film holders, lensboards, mounting flanges, adapters. They won't have the durability of metal, nor the precision of professional machine-shop products, but in many settings that would be fine; certainly better than having a camera go into forced retirement because of an irreplaceable part.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone's using the tech to make lens hoods:
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/AnalogueRobot
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

3D Printer?

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I heard on the radio that people are using relatively inexpensive 3D printer to make guns. Well I am not into making guns but can these be useful in making cameras and other photographic tools?
    Any kind of guns you could make with a 3-D printer would basically be "zip guns." (Improvised firearms.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_firearm

If one took parts fashioned on a 3-D printer and cast them in metal then machined them and assembled them, he could make a more traditional firearm but, I think that would defeat the purpose of making a quick, cheap gun at home. The only parts made on a 3-D printer that would stand up to the wear of use in a real firearm would be non-structural parts like stocks and handgrips, etc.

Even on an AR-15, the upper and lower receivers are made from cast or machined aluminum. In some places, only a few millimeters thick. All of the explosive force of the cartridge and bullet is contained by the barrel, chamber and locking bolt mechanism. The entire rest of the rifle could be made from plastic or boron/composite materials. Some versions of the AR-15 have been made from alternative materials but the chamber, barrel and bolt still have to be made from steel.

Consider that internal, chamber pressures inside a "civilian" spec. AR-15 can reach 50-60,000 PSI and go as high as 80,000 PSI in a military spec. M-16. (The "civilian" AR-15 and the "military" M-16 are similar weapons except the AR is not capable of fully-automatic fire where the M-16 is.)

Bottom line: I would not want to be anywhere near an all-plastic gun, made at home on a 3-D printer when it is fired! It would be just as dangerous, if not MORE dangerous to the person standing behind the gun than the one standing in front!

Let's stick to making cameras! I think it would be more fun, anyway.
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 02-26-2013 at 04:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The whole 3d printer craze is interesting, and I wouldn't say no to one in my house or garage by any means if someone else were paying for it.

Lets see if I can express my metaphor right. 3d printing is to machine shop as photoshop/epson inkjet is to darkroom.

If you're willing to learn some practical skills and have some old heavy equipment take up space, you can do better than the bleeding edge equivalent, and for less $. You can make real camera, real guns, real lenses. All with junk you bought on craigslist/ebay that was taking up someone's garage space. Just like darkroom equipment.

The end result product will be one of a kind quality craftsmanship rather than 1-100 copies of the same thing just like the computer said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are other printers coming down the pike. There will be DNA printers where you can design living organisms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10737215

Just think, homemade GMOs
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Don't believe what you hear on the radio. It's getting as bad as TV.
    3-D printers are in their infancy, and while interesting are so far limited to materials which can flow through a nozzle. I've thought of them as being possibly useful for making something like replacement aperture blades and other non-stressed parts.(Shutter blades need to be made of metal.)

But making guns? That's laughable. Real guns are made of wood and steel, which do not flow well through a nozzle. Jp498 has it about right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin