Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,186   Online: 1126

Shooter
    35mm

Polaroid 110A conversion to packfilm

I know this is a "fad" from the past (2009? or so), but I am the proud owner of a Polaroid 110A and after some thought, I think I found a way to covert it to packfilm unlike eveything else I've seen to date. The following is a copy and paste from my Flickr pic of my camera... I'm wanting thoughts and comments my idea. I can post pics of a 160 I've been tearing apart and the pieces from the donor packfilm camera if needed to show my concept better:

"Currently I'm debating on converting this camera to packfilm. Not the kind you see on the net, but rather a novel way. I have an old cheap Keystone Everflash packfilm camera that I can remove the packfilm holder and rollers quite simply. Then mount the holder inside the camera, and the rollers onto the inside of the camera's back. The only thing stopping this conversion is the need to increase the depth of the back to allow the modification. This would require removing a portion of the flat area of the back, and leaving the frame part, and then fabrication of a filler piece to mount the roller to it, and a spring clip to push on the packfilm case when the back is closed. One would simply be extending the hump height of the back, all the way to the other end... if you get what I'm trying to describe. So, the finished product would look like it was meant to be that way... get it?
    I have a 160 that I've been using to tear apart and weight all the options of conversion before touching the 110A. When I removed the film plane film guide plate by grinding off the tops of the rivets and prying it out, I found this is what holds the larger end of the bellows to the body. I also discovered this gives a flat surface to mount the packfilm holder quite nicely, and a slightly larger opening to allow the holder to fit right in. So, a means to re-mount the bellows would be required.
    Something else interesting is that by using an old used packfilm cartridge, one can load 120/220 single cut piece tapped, and load these and remove them in a dark bag. So, single shot 120/220 film shots would be possible as well. Not only single shot film, but other medium could be found to use as well, like glass plates and so on.
    Another advantage is that one can use a cut sheet of frosted glass or opaque scotch tape to check focus and adjust the camera's focus to match.
    Anyway, it's still just an idea right now, and if I decide to do it, I'll post pics of the whole process in a set all by themselves, with notes and directions for anyone else that wants to try it. It may be awhile yet before I do, however. So, please don't hold your breath waiting. I have to do it on the 160 first, and then move those parts and processes over to the 110A." (end of comments from my Flickr page).

I'm needing comments from experienced builders to help me devise and update my plans as needed, before I attempt the conversion.

Thank you!

Craig

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Look up option 8 he does AMAZING custom jobs specifically for that conversion. He's on Flickr and eBay.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I've seen his work and it looks really good, but I'm having to do this on a shoestring budget (read broke). I believe I can do this with the junk parts I have without having to spend a dime... of close to it. I know putting a Polaroid back is how everyone else has done it, but I'm thinking of making the internals packfilm, and simply increasing the depth of the back, thereby allowing the use of the full camera back that's on the camera, just raised to make room for the packfilm case.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Not quite sure but I think the thing you describe will mess up the focal plane of where the lens meets the film, and you'll have to re-do the focus knob to adjust for this change (if that's even possible). Or am I reading incorrectly.

I ran into this issue when I tried adding a CB-70 onto my RZ67... FAIL lol!!

I still have the CB-70 yours for $250! Lol (I know... Broke... Me too that's why I'm selling at cost).

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I was hoping to compensate for the difference between the film guide removal and where the instant film would sit, but using a focusing glass placed where the instant film sits and check/adjust the camera's focus setting... but like you, I don't know just yet how this is done or if it can be done... I have read that infinity is an easy fix, just change the extension point of the lens a little farther out. But the linkage that moves the focusing from lens movement into the viewfinder may be the only way to adjust focusing to match what I see on the film plane glass. Either by shortening or lengthening it, or there may be an adjustment screw? This is something I also would like some feedback on before proceeding with the conversion.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin