Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,608   Online: 988

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

35mm frame spacing modification?

I love shooting 6x6 medium format, and prefer square format images. I thought it might be fun to attempt to modify a 35mm SLR to take square images on 35mm film. I assume the masking of the viewfinder and film plane will be quite straightforward, but I'm unsure as to how I might be able to go about adjusting the frame spacing.
    Can anyone recommend a particular 35mm SLR I should seek out which has easily adjustable frame spacing? I have a Pentax ME Super and a Canon Rebel X which I'm willing to modify, although I imagine I should get a simpler, fully mechanical camera.
    Any tips on the general workings on film advance mechanisms or how to adjust them?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug!

On a older type SLR (with transport/cocking lever) you would have to change the gearing.
    On a model with integrated motorized transport you would have to cope with the counter fed with the film advance signals (from perforations or toothed spindle).

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most sensible suggestion that comes to my mind is buy a TLR and forget about modifying a 35mm camera with all its inherent limitiations of resolution. A 6x6 negative would be getting close to 360% larger than 35mm and packing a substantial amount more detail in your photos.

A few Canon SLRs have IR/LED sprocket counters linked to drive, shutter, mirror and computers. I wouldn't dream at all of tinkering with these. Back to the suggestion of a basic 6x6 to play with.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you said modifying the viewfinder would not be a problem to you (I think of a mask or square lining), I would go that way.
    (However take into account that by using a mask you might cut oof part of the rays going to the meter sensor.)

And leave it by that. The hassle involved in modifying film transport should not be outweighed by the savings in film. For enlarging modify the film gate in your enlarger, or mask the film gate in the camera.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-06-2013 at 03:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are several 35mm cameras that have square format. The one that comes most readily to mind is the Robot but there are others which other readers may suggest.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know only one 35mm (nearly) square format SLR (modified 24x36 model), and that is very simple, rare and has neither masked viewfinder nor modified film transport.

Are there advanced 35mm square format SLR's?
    Last edited by AgX; 03-06-2013 at 06:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you could always mask the finder for assistance in shooting, and print cropped
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    for what i can remeber 4 * 4 cameras were "quiete common" in the '50s / '60s
    i am not sure but some of them did not use 135 but 126 and similar other cartridges that are no longer available.
    for the sake of it you could simply mask film and finder and waste a few of any roll. quiete useless, imho.

Shooter
    35mm
    PS:
    even any camera with interchangeable focusing screens could do: on one you trace the proper lines and place it at work when needed...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind that the the cocking lever does two things, it transports the film and cocks the shutter. If you modified the film transport to stop at a shorter length of film, you would end with a half cocked shutter. So this is nothing that can be done without a change of the gears, so cannot be done by us tinkerers, I believe.

Regards,

Sven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin