Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,888   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Eye glasses gets in the way of looking into the view finder!

I have a very nice Kodak Tourist camera that functions well as designed. My problem is, I am not functioning as designed. I wear glasses and as such, when I try to look into the view finder (which is a smallish squareish hole) glasses gets in the way and I cannot get close enough to view the whole frame. This got to be a common problem. Is there a common solution?

By the way, Kodak Tourist is a range finder camera from the 50s. It is a range focus, range finder camera.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my Canonet QL17 GIII I have fashioned a small vertical rectangle of black plastic cut from a Dwayne's Photo slide box. At one end a circular hole allows me to mount a standard Nikon diopter eyepiece. The plastic rectangle is then firmly (but not permanently) attached to the back of the camera door using small 3M double-sided adhesive squares. It's positioned so that the diopter lens is centered directly over the viewer eyepiece.

It's surprisingly robust and unobtrusive. It's never popped off in use. But it can be cleanly peeled away whenever it's time to change to a more powerful correction eyepiece. And because it's only attached to the door it does not prevent me from opening the back to change film.

It's worked very well for me.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a similar problem by being presbyopic meanwhile. I got a lot of cameras I would like to play around, that neither got diopter adjustment nor a lens attachment facility and for which I do not want to make a permanent lens attachment.

I thought of constructing a small number of attachments consisting of different frames and lenses (cut-outs from cheap plastic reading glasses), in order to have something apt for a variety of cameras.

Following Ken's idea I thought of using doublesided adhesive tape for that frame, with one side having permanent, the other reversible tack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two Tourists (I and II) in front of me now. Neither has a range finder (I don't think Kodak ever made any 6x9cm folder with a rangefinder).
    The Tourist I is probably what you are describing. It has a 'sports finder' with no lenses in the viewfinder. Indeed it is impossible to see the edges of the frame with glasses.
    The Tourist II has a Galilean viewfinder and, although still difficult to see the entire viewing area with glasses, it is an improvement over the Tourist I.

These cameras are pretty inexpensive, maybe you could upgrade to the II. In fact that is why I have both. I upgraded to the Tourist II which also has an accessory shoe and mine came with the better Anaston f4.5 lens and a FLASH KODAMATIC SHUTTER (rather than the Anastigmat f6.3 lens & DIOMATIC shutter on my Tourist I).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not quite sure what these are called technically...

It's the view finder "thingy".... It's not the II type for sure. What's the definition of a "range finder" then? I thought a hole to view through was always called a view finder....

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A range finder integrated into the view finder is called a meter finder, measuring finder or range-view-finder.

But these are terms used in encyclopediae or dictionaries, I have not come across them in textbooks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to have to try Ken's idea. This is such a wonderful camera.... I'm just amazed how good of images it makes.....

Now I want the "II" version...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is one of those instances when I wish I owned a small digital camera. That way I could snap a quick better-than-a-thousand-words illustration image. The diopter mount blends in so well with the black camera covering material that people think it's a cool OEM attachment of some sort.

If you do give it a try remember to clip the four corners of the plastic at a 45-degree angle to reduce the chances it'll get snagged on your clothing and unknowingly pop off, thus losing a nice diopter lens. As mentioned though, that's never happened to me.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have also used Ken's idea of mounting a diopter. Remember on the Nikon diopters, they are marked different than the actual strength because they are not supposed to be used on anything but a Nikon ( ) that has already one diopter of correction built in. So the number on the Nikon accessory diopter incorporates the camera's one diopter power into its total indicated strength.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Contact lenses are the best thing that's happned to me.. wearing since when they first came out with the soft lens.. never go back to shooting with glasses ever again.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin