Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,417   Online: 912

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kiev 88 Stuck Shutter

Hello, my Kiev 88 shutter gets stuck on any setting before 1/125 (1/60 thru 1/2) "B" works in fact, any setting before 1/125 stays open until the release is pressed again as well. I was wondering has anyone ever had this problem, or can anyone direct me to a reference for this camera model's repair? Thanx.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks!

Images
    If I remember correctly from a long time ago what is going on is an easy fix for a mechanically minded person or camera mechanic. For the not so mechanically minded individual attempting a fix is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi there, I'm the chap who wrote said repair manual. Basically it sounds like a problem with the slow speeds escapement interaction with the main shutter escapement. It could be as simple as a drop of oil or it could be that a new part is needed. My recommendation would be that, if it is a otherwise excellent camera then approach ARAX http://www.araxfoto.com/ in the Ukraine to see how much the repair would be. If the camera has seen better days then there is nothing to lose in attempting a repair - you should only need to go as far as removing the focus screen, mirror and internal baffles/floor to get clear access. By cycling the shutter you should be able to see what it catching up.

Cheers,

Steve

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find your website

http://kiev88.atwebpages.com/index.htm

very interesting. Thank you for that!

I find it irritating though that you constantantly use Russian instead of Soviet.
    The more as the Arsenal factory not even is located in Russia.
    (Maybe though I'm too political correct and see things from a viewpoint of today....)
    Last edited by AgX; 03-23-2013 at 10:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cool thanks steve! the oil did the job! also I found your website invaluable. Interestingly, I'm half Ukrainian but from the West (Galicia)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin