Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,307   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

The smoking solder iron - DIY group

Just a quick post to let you know the existence of a new APUG group dedicated to electronic and software DIY projects for the film photographer.
    The smoking solder iron - DIY group is opened to everyone.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This sounds an interesting group and can I ask if it is possible to make an electronic kit to connect 3 or 4 or more standard flashguns together, to act as a strobe? With perhaps a variable timer between each flash, that allows each gun to reach its recycling time for full power between being fired. Such a bit of kit would be very useful and for all I know it may already exist. My students would find this useful.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes sure!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormpetrel View Post
    yes sure!
    This would be great, as you can buy flash guns dirt cheap from charity shops.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks interesting. While I have nothing to add at this time, I signed up.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just joined and left a post at the group. I am a soldering/test technician for a living so I'd like to participate and see where this goes.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    This sounds an interesting group and can I ask if it is possible to make an electronic kit to connect 3 or 4 or more standard flashguns together, to act as a strobe? With perhaps a variable timer between each flash, that allows each gun to reach its recycling time for full power between being fired. Such a bit of kit would be very useful and for all I know it may already exist. My students would find this useful.
    There once was marketed a hot-shoe delay device that after a first flash triggered staggered flashing with a choice between 1, 3 or 5 flashes in total. However it does not trigger several flash lights apart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    There are many ways to do that. The cheapest way would involve a PC-laptop, a $10 USB/parallel port (most of the parallel port can be used as TTL I/O port), a home brewed software and some extra components depending on the flashguns you want to use.

If you don't want to use a PC-laptop, the next option would involve the use of a multipurpose commercial micro-controller board (e.g. adruino).
    Third option, make a dedicated board (micro-controller based).
    You might also do it in an analog way with monostable (NE555 circuits) but I don't recommend this solution

If you have no experience with software programming and electronic it won't be an easy project , however if you are happy with the first solution I might help you with writing a piece of code to control your flashguns through the parallel port.

Dom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It only requires an optical trigger for each flash to fire multiple guns simultaneously. I bought some Metz potato masher type flash for this purpose. I know there is a specially made PC connector with one male port and 4 female port. I'm not sure how that'll work as all flash trigger will be connected in parallel with no isolation between them.

I can think of an easy way to do TWO flash alternating with latching relays but more than one, I am not sure.... We probably don't want to over-complicate it for it will have to work reliably every time - and in less than optimal conditions. I can't think of how timer'ed approach is useful.... is that going to be like an intergovernmental type installation??
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormpetrel View Post
    There are many ways to do that. The cheapest way would involve a PC-laptop, a $10 USB/parallel port (most of the parallel port can be used as TTL I/O port), a home brewed software and some extra components depending on the flashguns you want to use.

If you don't want to use a PC-laptop, the next option would involve the use of a multipurpose commercial micro-controller board (e.g. adruino).
    Third option, make a dedicated board (micro-controller based).
    You might also do it in an analog way with monostable (NE555 circuits) but I don't recommend this solution

If you have no experience with software programming and electronic it won't be an easy project , however if you are happy with the first solution I might help you with writing a piece of code to control your flashguns through the parallel port.

Dom
    I don't understand electronics or what you describe, but are you saying with a lap top this could be done for about $10 with multiple flash guns?

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin