Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,776   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Measuring shutter speed with photo-diode - help understanding results please

Measuring my Nizo Pro's shutter speeds. This one attached is a single frame taken at the 18fps setting and should hence be 1/43. Here is the output using a photodiode. I seem to have more peaks than is expected so not sure where I should take the start and end of the shutter opening time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shutter.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	66070

I'm using a a circuit like the one below (sans capacitor) and using a Bowens flood light. The photodiode is inside the camera body right behind the shutter gate. Recording to minidisc and opening in Soundbooth. And the PDF below also tells us how to measure the time from the wave form.

I've added an A, B, C and D to help identify the points I should be using.

http://static.photo.net/attachments/...W-10288684.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you would be better off using the capacitor, as it isolates the DC bias from the audio input. There is probably a capacitor in the audio interface but it is likely much larger and swamping some of the effects you're looking for. About two years ago I bought some parts to build one of those doohickeys but still haven't gotten around to it, it could be I really don't want to know!

Shooter
    35mm
    Why did you not include the capacitor?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Mr Thomas and Prof. Pixel:

Ok. I'll rebuild tonight!

I left the capacitor out because I couldn't get it to work and didn't understand why I needed it. I saw a version without one. But now I'll try it again with a capacitor.

Thank-you for your help.
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 03-21-2013 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The little blips you should be seeing are a result of charging and discharging that capacitor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The capacitor is there because audio input of a sound card cannot see DC. By putting a capacitor there, it will cut out all the DC component, and only the AC component, the change (such as a sudden rise in voltage when diode sees the light and NOT see the light) in voltage, will be apparent. In essence you are making a differentiation circuit. That's why the peak goes to the opposite direction - charge and discharge. No, it isn't charging THAT capacitor actually....

You should be seeing more changes though, even without a capacitor.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    The little blips you should be seeing are a result of charging and discharging that capacitor.
    Thank-you. Just saw the LED blip. So maybe it's working - i'll try the recording otherwise I'll buy some more components to get a better match with that circuit. I'm trying to make do with stuff in my kit.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Sourcing the correct parts after all your helpful comments.

But I can only find one photodiode in Maplins if I am to buy one tomorrow - the SFH300. Will that work in place of the BPW40? Otherwise I'm stuck until I can find one. I have some photodiodes that I am using but I have no idea what they are.

This is the Maplins one:
    a 'http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/view/45637/SIEMENS/SFH300-2.html
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 03-21-2013 at 07:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I built one a couple of years ago -
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16474348/we...ed_Tester.html
    I found the schematic I think on the large format forum. My EE friends helped pick out the components. I think it's generally accurate at slower speeds, but I don't have a way to independently test the device. At faster speeds the signal becomes stretched out and it's hard to pick specific on an off points. Lately I made a small slit mask that I put on the front of the box to try and limit extraneous signal and produce more abrupt on and off signals. It may have helped some, but is also let me measure the speed of a Zorki shutter at the beginning and end of the shutter travel so I could set the tension on the drums.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    But I can only find one photodiode in Maplins if I am to buy one tomorrow - the SFH300. Will that work in place of the BPW40?
    The SFH300 phototransistor will work just fine - I used one for a shutter tester wired up to a parallel port without any problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin