Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 830

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Zone VI or Wisner camera dimension needed

If you have a Zone VI camera or the similar Wisner (not the re-badged Wista) I would appreciate it if you could measure the width of the body as shown here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	width.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	66544

And let me know. Scaling from a photograph and comparing with a film holder, I think it's about 196mm or 7.75"

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 03-29-2013 at 09:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    199 mm or 7 7/8 but mine does not have those horizontal brass strips projecting at the top. Mine is a newfane model.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you.

Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mine (Wisner Tech Field, manufactured in Marion MA) also doesn't have the pictured brackets, nor the 45 degree cut corners on the back, and measures 197mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. That seems quite big for a 5x4 camera. You could almost put a 5x7 back on that.

Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The 197mm is actually 197mm square. You got me excited there for a second--I am planning to modify a B&J and build a 5x7 back for a Kodak Master View 8x10, so I looked at the 4x5 again--much lighter if it would work. However, the way the bellows mounts through the back of the Wisner and is held in by the film pack/focus panel, the bellows back limits the exposure field to about 6 inches in each direction so that the back can be rotated 90 degrees. I can manage that much wood working, but not much more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could put a slight extension on the back to take 5x7 so it is placed a bit further away from the bellows opening.

Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Now you have me thinking--it looks like it needs about a 1" extension. The Wisner body is only 1/4" thick and even thinner where the wood is mortised to hold the bellows, and I don't really want to modify the body itself, but maybe an extension that fits over the outside dimension of the box... I'd have to sharpen my wood working skills and figure out how to attaché the 5x7 back to the body. I still want the 90 degree rotation.

I'll have to think on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could use the same clips that hold the 5x4 back on with some recesses in the extension. As the 5x7 frame is rectangular, you don't need the very corners of the opening as image area.

That would retain the ability to rotate it.

I would start by making a simple square plate (with light trap recess if that's the way Wisner/Zone VI do it) which clips onto the back in place of its normal back and build it up from there.

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin