Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,851   Online: 929

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Converting a 116 and 616 Kodak camera to use 120 film.

I ran across this simple procedure to convert Kodak 616 and 116 panoramic cameras to use 120 film. If you have an old folder you would like to shoot again this will do it for you.

A review of Kodak's 116 and 616 cameras: http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=212

Converting a 616 camera with PDF link: http://kodak.3106.net/index.php?p=516

PDF instructions: http://kodak.3106.net/download/616pa...sion-RevBE.pdf
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Converting a 116 and 616 Kodak camera to use 120 film.

Very cool. Thanks.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are nice tips! I have 4 116 folders I use fairly regularly. You can still get great results from using snipped plastic wall anchors which will fit into the ends of a 120 spool and then that spool will fit nicely in a camera like the Kodak 1A Autographic Special. The key for sharpness is a good lens but also film flatness so I do not advance to the next frame until I'm ready to take the next shot.

Some 116 folders (like the Kodak 1A Pocket) have a flat spring loaded back which helps to keep the film flat.

The color shot is from a Kodak 1A Autographic Special, the black and white (with selected focus) is from a Kodak 1A Pocket with the spring loaded back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img344.jpg   img798.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm working on a 116 Autographic Junior right now so that color shot was of interest to me. Which lens does it have? Besides the instructions given in the PDF for adapting 120 spools I have seen where someone has taken dowel and inserted it into the cutoff end of the spool then slotted the dowel.

I'd be interested in the anchor sizes you used. You must be using the straight anchors? Did you do anything for a pressure plate or did your camera have one? Mine only has two long runners at the extreme edges so I need to adapt one to the back.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 1A Autographic Special does not have a pressure plate, but everything I have taken with it has come out very sharp. I just make sure to only advance the film just when I'm ready to shoot. My only problem with the camera has been light leaks coming in from the back, I have been taping up the back with black gaffers tape and I think I have the leak problem solved. I also had Flutot's Camera Repair cla the shutter.

I believe I did just buy basic straight anchors. I then took an exacto knife to two plastic pieces and trim off the same length a little at a time, put one on each end of a 120 spool until they fit in the camera. Pretty much just trial and error.

Chris

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrismat61/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot to answer your question about the lens for the 1A Autographic: it's a 130mm Kodak Anastigmat, f6.3-f45.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I converted a vigilant six-16 with brass spacers on the roll holders. Just took the first pictures,can't wait to see them now!
    rob

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just adding on to this post as I finally shot a roll thru my converted Autographic Junior. It was a long road to conversion and then the weather went south and seemed like it rained constantly. I realized mid-roll that I screwed up when winding on "duh", forgetting that there was a numbers sequence, but I got a couple good ones that I'm going to scan for now and post in my Flickr account. I'll contact print them this week. The lens is a menicus, so I'm wondering how quality will be.

The one thing about the conversion is that the film plane shifted back.025+ because of the new rails for the smaller film. I luckily had a medium format GG laying around and was able to remark the infinity mark on the cover bed scale. The problem is shooting closer for DOF. I'll have to print out and carry a DOF chart for the 135mm lens and then probably make a whole new distance scale.

The picture attached shows on the far left the new location of the window for frame numbers. There was a brass insert under the "Autographic" area of the cover that had to be removed since it protruded to far into the body especially as concerns the pressure plate. I made a wood insert out of maple and cut a channel in it because the cover has a round protrusion down the center. I found that if I sanded the bottom of the insert I could vary the pressure on the film winding till it was just right.
    The middle shows a floating pressure plate .010 that I made for it. It works perfect and doesn't move on film wind. On the right you see the rails I made out of .025 brass. It was the thinnest and stiffest I could use. I had to adhere the brass first and then paint the back side inside the bellows that showed. That was a pita. My top mounted finder is off an old 616 Monitor camera. It barely shows in the photo.

Overall it was a fun project. I caution anyone following in my footsteps not to use the crappy Rustoleum flat paint from the home remodeling stores as it was just not smooth enough. I had to sand it with 600 wet dry and then had to re-spray it and sand again. I wonder if a spray can of hobby paint would have been better. The paint looks lousy but it's smooth at least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Autographic.jpg  
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That floating pressure plate is a good idea. Nicely done!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Pictures Posted

I posted two pictures from the camera in my Flickr account:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60642438@N02/9232638587/

The first picture is with a yellow filter and with a judgement call on close focus and the next (click right arrow) without filtering and not cropped, at infinity.

Acros Film in Diafine, Levels endpoints brought in to histogram, no sharpening.

The negs look better then the scans, although in the Epson scanner dialog box the images look much sharper. I look forward to contact printing these.
    W.A. Crider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin