Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,112   Online: 1159

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubricating

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
    Many Thanks for all your comments -- I will undo the base plates again and have another look to see what is happening around the moving parts and will try to get some 'Clock Oil' -- I THOUGHT there would be some wiser members if I posed the question here !!
    I'll advise you to find service manuals for your various cameras, either copies or online versions. You'll find that, to properly lubricate most sections of the mechanism, it must be disassembled, cleaned, and then lubricated as you reassemble it. The manuals will specify the types of lubricant, (there are at least two, oil and light grease, possibly three or more) where and how to apply. Clock oil is easily available, oil specified for large (pocket) watches would also be suitable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Honestly, maybe clock oil is supposedly 'best' but I have always used mineral oil with NO problems. But, pentaxpete, maybe you should have first flushed out the dirt with lighter fluid and then, when nice and clean and dry, applied the tiny bit of oil. - David Lyga
    Is this why so many cameras smell like Ronsonol, and still don't work?
    C'mon, the OP is trying to find out the correct way to do it- not the "good enough" way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I opened the base plates there was NO 'Dirt' there at all -- it seems to be well sealed against dust getting in but I am noting all your kind comments. I am winding on my 1961 vintage Pentax SV and 1970's Canon FTbn and they seem much better. I am very careful not to get any oil near the shutter curtains. There is a Canon FTb 'Group' on Flickr and there they advocate Lubricating all the moving parts in the base plate and also to take off the top plate and lubricate but I have not gone as far as taking off the top plate !
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... I have not gone as far as taking off the top plate !
    Taking the top plate off of a Canon FTb is not a lot of fun, if I remember correctly. Neither is it very easy. I managed to ruin the metering thingamajig inside, though luckily the meter was dead already.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I opened the base plates there was NO 'Dirt' there at all -- it seems to be well sealed against dust getting in but I am noting all your kind comments. I am winding on my 1961 vintage Pentax SV and 1970's Canon FTbn and they seem much better. I am very careful not to get any oil near the shutter curtains. There is a Canon FTb 'Group' on Flickr and there they advocate Lubricating all the moving parts in the base plate and also to take off the top plate and lubricate but I have not gone as far as taking off the top plate !

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manual...icemanuals.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pentax Manuals

Many thanks for that 'Link' -- it's a god job I did not go 'deeper' into the cameras and unscrew anything else having looked at all the very small and intricate parts ! I just checked my Pentax SV and Spotmatic again and all the shutter speeds seem to be working OK and no 'slipping gears' .
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Pentax SV was my first real 35mm. Bought at the PX in Vietnam. I still have it and use it occasionally. A fine jewel of a camera as far as I'm concerned and solid as a brick. I saved those links just in case. Thanks for starting this thread.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin