Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,640   Online: 738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubricating

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lubricating

I have taken a chance and lubricated some of my old cameras from the base plates -- I could not undo all the screws on some but I managed 1960's Asahi Pentax SV and Spotmatic, 1970's Canon FTbn and my wife's Nikon FG -- on undoing the base plates I saw some levers and cogs -- I put ONE DROP of 'Three-in-One'oil into a developing dish and carefully picked up some on a piece of thin electrical fuse wire and touched it onto the cogs and lever pivots -- well, the cameras wind on much smoother now .. if any of you have any comments on 'Lubrication' please add -- Thanks --- Peter
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do you know where to put oil and where to let dry? Too, I would only consider to lube after cleaning.

Take care.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cameras should be lubricated with clock oil, Three-In-One is light machine oil and too heavy for the job.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
    I have taken a chance and lubricated some of my old cameras from the base plates -- I could not undo all the screws on some but I managed 1960's Asahi Pentax SV and Spotmatic, 1970's Canon FTbn and my wife's Nikon FG -- on undoing the base plates I saw some levers and cogs -- I put ONE DROP of 'Three-in-One'oil into a developing dish and carefully picked up some on a piece of thin electrical fuse wire and touched it onto the cogs and lever pivots -- well, the cameras wind on much smoother now .. if any of you have any comments on 'Lubrication' please add -- Thanks --- Peter
    1) 3-in-1 is the wrong type of oil. The only worse "oil" would be WD-40. Olive oil from your kitchen would have been better.
    2) Applying oil to dirty mechanisms just spreads the dirt around and accelerates wear.
    3) You possibly put oil where it doesn't belong.

You did ask for comments...
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 04-02-2013 at 04:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    cameras should be lubricated with clock oil, Three-In-One is light machine oil and too heavy for the job.
    The viscosity isn't that much different from clock oil. The problem is that 3-in-1 will spread, leaving the lubrication points dry, while clock oil will not spread. Not, that is, if applied to clean surfaces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of my CLA's are removing stuff like this, I use a machine oil (similar to clock/watchmakersoil) I've had for years and I dilute it with a touch of alcohol before appyling in the same fashion as the OP.

I do use WD-40 as well, however only when there's big issues with rust/oxidation, and once things are freed up I take a lot or care to remove ALL traces.

There's no way I put 3 in 2 oil near anyting photographic/

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    My 2 cents added in would be that 3in1 oil doesn't bother me, per se. I use it myself and have worked on a LOT of cameras. including the Pentaxes. The most important thing in oiling anything untrained is the tendency to oil things that are not supposed to be oiled, and causing all sorts of problems. For instance, try oiling a Kalart rangefinder. It'll never work again till you go back in and get your oil out. A wee-tad of oil on a gear is usually harmless, but NOT on flat surfaces that have to slide across each other.
    Far from harmless. Oil on a gear can attract dust and form a grinding compound, with predictable results. A very effective way to ruin a watch or clock is to oil the wheels and pinions.

Shooter
    35mm

Lubricating

I understood, from an interest in bicycle maintenance, that 3-in-1 is a vegetable oil which solidifies with age. Although it has been sold as suitable for cycles for many years, pro mechanics would never use it. I would have thought that clock oil or the very light stuff you get for lubricating hair clippers/electric razors might be more suitable. Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many Thanks for all your comments -- I will undo the base plates again and have another look to see what is happening around the moving parts and will try to get some 'Clock Oil' -- I THOUGHT there would be some wiser members if I posed the question here !!
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    35mm
    Honestly, maybe clock oil is supposedly 'best' but I have always used mineral oil with NO problems. But, pentaxpete, maybe you should have first flushed out the dirt with lighter fluid and then, when nice and clean and dry, applied the tiny bit of oil. - David Lyga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin