Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,096   Online: 898

Shooter
    Multi Format

Who does good Kiev RF repair work?

I have a Kiev 4A in good shape, with a couple of good lenses - but the camera needs some servicing (it leaks light). I find this sort of work tedious to do on my own so I'd rather get the camera professionally serviced than do the work myself.

In the past I sent Soviet cameras to a fellow in Russia named Oleg but it's been ten years since I've done that - I'm not sure if he's still in business.

Is he still around, and/or who else would be good at this sort of work? I live in Canada but don't mind shipping the camera further afield if it makes financial sense.

Thanks.

Jim
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    He's still around, and has recently updated his website

http://www.okvintagecamera.com/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know much about the Russian cameras by I did a cla on the whole rangefinder assembly on a fed2 and it was easy. Not sure if they are sumular at all though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They're quite different - Feds and Zorkis are fairly similar but the shutters, e.g., in the Kievs are very different.

If Oleg's still around, I'll check him out to do the work then. Thanks!

Jim

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim, have you called Chengs in S'toon? I haven't found anything he won't work on but I have never asked him about Russian cameras.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    Jim, have you called Chengs in S'toon? I haven't found anything he won't work on but I have never asked him about Russian cameras.
    Good idea - I didn't even know he existed until I was in Saskatoon a couple of weeks ago. I'll call.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Good idea - I didn't even know he existed until I was in Saskatoon a couple of weeks ago. I'll call.
    I have used him for years, and my mother for years before that (since late 80's). He fixed my Yashica Mat 124G when Precision Camera Repairs in Winnipeg told me to toss it (for less than they said possible), he's fixed my friends Hasselblad and I regularly use him for all of my CLA's, including my RZ's. Prices are great and he is a wealth of knowledge - especially once he finds out you like film cameras.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My friends and I have been using Fedka for years. Great repair service here in NY.
    www.fedka.com.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin