Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,046   Online: 1196

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your best bet is to replace the broken parts. Second best, to replace the screws with a larger size. Glue is probably the method least likely to work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, but it could be worth trying though.

The glue is NOT worth trying, but it is your choice to do it anyway. I say this only because the bond has little space to make a permanent fix and with such a small area of contact, it is not going to be a sure fix. To extend that area, you would have to rough up the bases that are in contact and it would have to be done quite well, so you could sleep better, BUT we now get into bastardizing the camera (perhaps not everyone would agree). Every time you use it, you'll be thinking about that part, and what are you going to do when it fails at the least opportune time?

Screw replacement is a rather easy fix (and a good one, but its cost depends on whether you could do it yourself or a machinist would have to do it for you). If the latter, then you may still be far below the cost of the whole block, provided you find a local good machinist and not send it to the few, always mentioned here, camera repair shops.

Another option is to check ebay and similar as often you will see the rear standard on sale for not much money.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have checked eBay for rear standards. Would cost about one third of what I paid for the camera.
    I would replace the screws if I would know how to reach them (not sure if I have the tools needed).
    I plan on running some tests of gluing similarly small surfaces to check for strength.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But why can't you slide off the dove-tail glider from the standard?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't know how to do that. It seems that it is stopped from sliding off out of it by some part I don't know how to reach and remove.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Got a reply from Toyo today. They e-mailed me exploded schematics of all the parts. I might find the way to reach those screws after all and buy replacement parts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin