Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,932   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

CDS meter question

I have a virtually mint K1000 body but the meter does not work. It does, however, 'respond'.

As a move the shutter dial the meter needle will either stay all the way to the bottom or go all the way to the top. Shading the lens with my hand does not compromise this movement. What causes this? Obviously, the battery is good and I checked it to be sure. But, with CDS meters, does this occur often? In other words, the meter responds to shutter speed selection ONLY, and not to light. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's broken, a malaise not specific to CDS cells.

I'd say that something has come uncoupled inside the camera, or perhaps the cell itself is in a very low resistance mode, for whatever reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The CDS cell might be good; there may be something else in the metering circuit that is bad. Try fiddling with the ASA ajustor since the variable resistor could be dirty/broken.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I have a virtually mint K1000 body but the meter does not work. It does, however, 'respond'.

As a move the shutter dial the meter needle will either stay all the way to the bottom or go all the way to the top. Shading the lens with my hand does not compromise this movement. What causes this? Obviously, the battery is good and I checked it to be sure. But, with CDS meters, does this occur often? In other words, the meter responds to shutter speed selection ONLY, and not to light. - David Lyga
    Take a look at the schematic diagram here. I looked but haven't figure out why yet
    http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manual...icemanuals.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, I have taken tops off of these a multitude of times, usually to clean a dirty viewfinder area.

No, Brian, I do not think that it is an ASA situation but, instead, simply the light sensors dying and, somehow, the linkage between shutter speed and meter remaining intact. I did not expect a quick answer here but wanted to see if anyone else had had this problem and had came up with a relatively simple solution.

Chan Tran, that is a VERY handy website you offered.

Thanks.

- David Lyga

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither with a broken sensor nor with a irregularly working step-switch such failure of the meter system could be explained.

EDIT:
    I have to correct myself: the meter might be brought out of range
    see posts #13,#14
    Last edited by AgX; 04-18-2013 at 09:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever you say, David, but I'd suggest you read the section on "speed resistor". It might give you just hte clue you're looking for.

I've had similar problem, BTW, on a Nikon of similar vintage and functionality and on a Ricoh... that's why I'm suggesting you give that consideration.

Good luck to you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Whatever you say, David, but I'd suggest you read the section on "speed resistor". It might give you just hte clue you're looking for.

I've had similar problem, BTW, on a Nikon of similar vintage and functionality and on a Ricoh... that's why I'm suggesting you give that consideration.

Good luck to you.
    Could the battery be upside down?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    No, the battery is correct.

And thank you Brian for the info. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the needle sticking to the stops in the slot it travels in?
    Along with the light seals these can also get sticky.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin