Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,000   Online: 694

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    They made the change almost 30 years ago. Canon wouldn't have the leading position they have today if they didn't make the switch to EF mount. I am a die hard Nikon user and it's good that they retain the F mount until today but doing so they are creating quite number of incompatibilities in recent years. Beginning with the G lenses and then AF-S lenses.
    Yeah, the irony is that I can mount more Nikon lenses on my Canon bodies than I could on a Nikon body, even G lenses with expensive adapters.
    Only the very very earliest wide-angle intruding lenses that need mirror lockup don't go on a canon, because they've never figured how how mirror lockup is really meant to work...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kenyon Gyros were the first thing that came to mind but it's an old school solution and may be no better than VR or IS in a smaller format. Everyone else has chimed in with their experience so I will too. The VR (version) on my Nikon 200-400 has allowed me to get shots that were tack-sharp to as slow as 1/15s, from a crouch, bracing elbows on my knees. 1/60th becomes very routine, shooting with an F5 at 7 fps. Subject motion is then a real problem at these slower speeds, a slowly turned bobcat head that blurred comes to mind, in the middle of a sequence where the 1/15s shots were tack sharp.
    Larger cameras don't have stabilized lenses outside of huge astronomy reflecting telescopes (with these they do something similar by moving sections of the mirror--called adaptive optics, IIRC from my years working at an observatory). Astronomically, another slick technology is to put the larger optic/camera in a gimbal, guiding it with a system of fast stepper motors, driven off a video camera and software that senses brightness changes as small as a 1/4 pixel of motion. Off the shelf commercial solutions are standard features of high end amateur telescopes today, works great for correcting drive errors and atmospheric perturbance on long exposures of stars, galaxies, nebulas. Works with film cameras, too, though few astronomers yet use analog capture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just slightly off regarding the diference between Canon/Nikon implementing new mounts.
    Canon did it in one giant leap that outmoded all of their manual focus cameras while Nikon did it in increments.
    If you have a bunch of $$ invested in a system would you rather dispose of the expensive lenses in one shot or over the years? Your money, your choice.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Just slightly off regarding the diference between Canon/Nikon implementing new mounts.
    Canon did it in one giant leap that outmoded all of their manual focus cameras while Nikon did it in increments.
    If you have a bunch of $$ invested in a system would you rather dispose of the expensive lenses in one shot or over the years? Your money, your choice.
    Many camera companies changed mounts suddenly, canon was just the biggest with the most lenses so it caused more uproar. For the pro's with significantly large lenses like 400mm or 600mm primes, canon offered a send in program where they would change the mount for you. Also they offered a conversion adapter on a limited basis. I've only seen one on eBay once, and if memory serves they made a tiny run like 200 that were made. They only fit the L series glass and possibly only the white lenses as the adapter is white.

It's just like the ones with cheap glass on eBay except its high quality canon glass.

Wish I could get my hands on one...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin