Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,220   Online: 916

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Is stabilization available for analog?

Is there a device which might screw onto the tripod socket of an SLR that would provide the ability to hand-hold film cameras at slow speeds (1/4, 1/8, etc) and get sharp results? I think that there are some lenses with this built-in but I am talking about a separate device. - David Lyga

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, a gyro-motor.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meditation might help too...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ah, yes. Gyroscopes. When you are in a helicopter or on a boat, a tripod just doesn't work.

Not cheap. Can be rented. Not lightweight. Heavy battery consumption.

Always wanted something like this, even if a toy version existed.

http://www.ken-lab.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a few slow, deep breaths, let the last one out partway, settle in and take the shot. May not work for everyone, but it helps me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Then, if they are so expensive, why does every damn digital camera have on built-in? Expose my ignorance please. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're OK with autofocus, Canon or Nikon AF analog bodies like the EOS 3 and F100 can use image stabilized lenses too.. Some of the Canon ones like the 100L IS and the new 24-70 f/4L IS are pretty remarkable in what they can do to remove hand tremors. I've hand-held the Nikon 16-35 VR at 1/4 of a second no problamo.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Then, if they are so expensive, why does every damn digital camera have on built-in? Expose my ignorance please. - David Lyga
    For an outside-mounted unit, it has to be big and extremely precise. Like a Segway scooter. For internal designs, they are very tiny. They can use other motion detectors instead of Gyroscopes.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David, those attached stabilizers have to stabilize the whole camera (actually your hand plus camera...)

The internal (modern) stabilizers only have to move a rather tiny optical element.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Some rely on in-lens systems instead.

And it is a lot easier to move electrons around or a sensor which is the size of a postage stamp then it is to move a chunk of film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin