Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,233   Online: 1006

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the build your own bug, but I live in a small apartment so no power tools except a compact scroll saw and hand drill. My wood 4X5 contraptions have to be simple in the extreme. I try to work with hobby plywood and pre cut dimensional wood strips as much as possible. This usually limits the project to a box camera although I did pick up an old 4X5 kit built camera (not a Bender) that was sold by Calumet in the early 1980's. It was a basket case that had to be rebuilt but I managed to come up with a camera that has front movements at least. Now I just need a lens that will allow for movements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    When I was building radio gear, I learned to build a rough draft, debug it, then build the finished version.
    I have started to build my own desktop CNC router. Some advice I read on a website was to make your first router any way you like as long as it works then use it to make a really good one.

I'm hoping to bypass the first stage by using the one at work to make mine!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Where are you getting yours from?

I'm making my own rack with work's CNC router (which cuts all the wood for me too!) and I am using Mod 0.8/32 pitch pinions from model racing cars.

Steve.
    Ronson Gears here in Oz. Lookng at 0.8x4mm brass set up. They initially offered me steel ".8x8mm. Too bloody heavy!

I'm also looking at using some Carbon Fibre rods to reduce weight and stiffen the extensions, as well as some CF sheet inserts in the base board.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    I have the build your own bug, but I live in a small apartment so no power tools except a compact scroll saw and hand drill. My wood 4X5 contraptions have to be simple in the extreme. I try to work with hobby plywood and pre cut dimensional wood strips as much as possible.
    If I was in that situation, I would look at having plywood laser cut by a steel rule die manufacturer. This is how the Bulldog kit was made.

I don't have much in the way of woodworking tools so I make cameras using techniques which I would usually use with metal and plastics. I don't have the facilities to plane and thickness wood so I buy it in already thicknessed to 9mm. Then I draw up the parts on CAD and CNC cut them.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a similar problem when I was building my 3rd log cabin. ummmm very similar!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    I had a similar problem when I was building my 3rd log cabin. ummmm very similar!
    At least you had a roof over your head whilst you built the next one... you did get as far as putting the roof on didn't you?!!!!

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are well-proven alternatives to rack and pinion focusing for the home camera builder with limited funds or tools. With the New Vue twin-rail view camera, rough focusing was done by sliding and locking the front standard, and focusing the rear with a lead screw. The Noba studio camera used a V-belt system for focusing. Flexible line secured to the standard and wrapped several turns around a focusing shaft might also work. Some Polaroids used a lever for limited range fine focusing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Flexible line secured to the standard and wrapped several turns around a focusing shaft might also work.
    Like the pointer mechanism in a wireless tuning control.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Changing your mind partway through isn't neccesarily a bad thing; it means the design is evolving in your head. John Arnold said "I have a hundred number ones".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know this feeling, but you know, I decided that it's better to finish what you have started, not out of some stubborn need to prove that you can, but because it's better to continue, but keep your design fluid. That way you'll have a finished frankencamera of ideas that have been tried fleshed out, then you start another knowing, in a practical reality, what will, won't and can work.

First ideas or thoughts seldom turn out how you want and, to leave you with another platitude, practice makes perfect

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin