Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,570   Online: 1045

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite the timely thread. I wish everyone good fortune in their building.

I am in the design/parts collecting phase of a folding 4x5 project. My design as well includes dual focusing racks, and on paper I am quite pleased with how things are working out. (Many, many sheets of paper) I am seeing some different approaches to the rack and pinion design, and I wonder what others have done to achieve smooth and consistent focusing.

I may have dealt the whole idea a death-blow today by deciding to make my own ground glass and back. I have built pinhole cameras before, but nothing where focus is critical. I have measured a couple of film holders and seem to be getting just under 5mm depth between the rail and film. (4.87mm, to be exact) I am assuming that would be the depth of the ground glass as well.

BTW, I am doing my rough design by hand and then doing a more detailed 3D rendering using FreeCAD. This gives me a much better idea of how things will fit together.

I am hopeful, as well to make my own bellows, but I am not above blowing a bit of my budget on commercially made bellows if it will help finish the project.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom, measure the distance with film in the holders, and look for the ANSI (no doubt now ISO) standard for 4x5 film holders. Film isn't infinitely thin.

Re walking away from a mistake, if it can't be saved why waste time and effort and love trying to save it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Re walking away from a mistake, if it can't be saved why waste time and effort and love trying to save it?
    Absolutely. Learn from it and try again.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    but isn't it only a mistake if you don't rectify it?

and why be so prescriptive with your design...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post

and why be so prescriptive with your design...
    And why be so proscriptive yourself?

Steve does what works for him, and is willing to share his perspective with us. As one facing similar challenges and choices, I appreciate his efforts and I thank him.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Not necessarily mistakes. Just getting to a point where I realised that what I was making wasn't quite what I wanted - but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't got that far.

I'm not like normal people. I rarely try the easy route first.

As an example, when I first made an acoustic guitar, everyone I spoke to suggested I started out with a simple Spanish nylon strung design. But that's not what I wanted.

I wanted a Selmer Modele Jazz (as played by Django Reinhardt). So that's what I built. Although in that instance I managed to get there without half building any other guitars first! (so not a very good analogy!!!).

In the case of the guitar, I knew what I wanted but with the camera, I wasn't sure at first.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Not necessarily mistakes. Just getting to a point where I realised that what I was making wasn't quite what I wanted - but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't got that far.

I'm not like normal people. I rarely try the easy route first.

As an example, when I first made an acoustic guitar, everyone I spoke to suggested I started out with a simple Spanish nylon strung design. But that's not what I wanted.

I wanted a Selmer Modele Jazz (as played by Django Reinhardt). So that's what I built. Although in that instance I managed to get there without half building any other guitars first! (so not a very good analogy!!!).

In the case of the guitar, I knew what I wanted but with the camera, I wasn't sure at first.
    Steve.
    I see what you mean Steve, but planning can only go so far... so to speak.

I have plenty of half finished projects myself, so I know what you mean, just that I don't understand why you'd need to give up rather than trying to turn it into what you want?

and isn't that essentially what you're doing anyway? if you think of the one you start after the first, having learnt what you did from the one you began, as a continuation of the "project" rather than as a new "camera" then you have no half finished projects, just some trial designs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you have it absolutely correct. The half finished piece is still part of the same project if I learned from it when starting the next version.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, you may enjoy reading this: http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You're right. I did.

Thank you.

Steve.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin