Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,058   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Changing Your Mind Half Way Through Building...

In the last few years I have started to build a few 5x4 cameras. My problem is finishing them!

I get to a point where I realise that I could have done something a better way and get annoyed with myself.

To that end, I have now started a fourth camera based on the Zone VI design with twin focusing racks.

Unusually for me, I have done extensive drawings to see if it's what I really want. I have a feeling that I might actually finish this one!

Here are a few pictures of the base of this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0192.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	67947 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	67948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0193.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	67949 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0195.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	67950 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	67948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0194.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	67951 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0197.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	67952 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0189.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	67953

Does anyone else suffer from this problem?

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 04-28-2013 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've a similar problem with my Master's thesis in psychology.
    As for building things, on the rare occasion I do, I try to force myself through it, convincing myself I can always build the "improved" model later. Unfortunately, I get hung in the planning stages lately, but I've found it better to get stuck there than have a bunch of half-completed projects laying around.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not allowing the perfect to be the enemy of the very good is a difficult thing to do. I struggle with that all the time.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not really striving for perfect. I just get to a point where I say to myself "this isn't going to turn out quite how I wanted it" or "it would be better if I did it like this".

I tend to start things by building one piece then building the next piece to fit. Very unlike me, for this camera, I have made extensive CAD drawings and I only started to cut wood once I was happy that it was all going to work out.

I will probably finish one of my previous efforts as it was going to be a horizontal 5x7 with a 5x4 reducing back. I have already made the front and back for it and I have the bellows as that was the reason for making it. I have decided to simplify that one and build it as a monorail... but that will be after I finish this one!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why not build your designs out of cardboard and then when you make one you are happy with, build the real thing?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I often make a part from MDF first to check the fit but I haven't made a whole camera from MDF first... although I have thought about it.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I often make a part from MDF first to check the fit but I haven't made a whole camera from MDF first... although I have thought about it.

Steve.
    Cardboard would be easier than MDF, and it's only when you see the thing in 3D that you can appreciate how the ergonomics will work. When I designed the Zen pinhole camera I made the whole thing out of cardboard before discussing the design with the wood craftsman who actually made it. Even then he built several prototypes out of ply before we agreed on the final design.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My problem is I have 2 or 3 parts camears with focus beds like that and I've just bought a box full of Graflex parts as well. Some will have to sit and wait while I make a 5x4/6x17 camera from bits. I've everything needed to make a Crown Graphic style camer awith a Graflex focus bed, rangefinder, and most importa a modified Super Graphic front standard that fits the track so potential for plenty of movements.

So I've set my parameters, a camera that can use 65mm to 210mm lenses with good movements a rotatable back that will shoot 5x4 and 6x17, I want a slim style 6x17 back and found a great DIY example 2 weeks ago. Oh and it must be easy to use hand held.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    a camera that can use 65mm to 210mm lenses
    I have the same range. I like the Zone VI design with separate front and rear focusing racks rather than sliding the front standard to a position on the rack to suit the lens as is the case with most designs.

My 5x7 half built camera will also have a 6x17 option (one day!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I want a slim style 6x17 back and found a great DIY example 2 weeks ago.
    Can you share this?

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finish what you started. No excuses. Then move on to the next. Rule 1 in model airplane building. Or else you end up with a houseful of 1/2 built airplanes cluttering up the place. For the good or bad of it, you HAVE to finish it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin