Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,807   Online: 754

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 3M "Fastbond" contact adhesive.
    It's used for countertops and things. I used it to stick a piece of vinyl flooring material down to the Masonite benchtop in my darkroom.

I still have about a half a quart left over. I use it for just about everything. (Everything that needs to be glued down. )

I used it to replace the cork pad on my Tilt-All tripod. Worked like a charm.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Michael's craft stores sell self adhesive cork sheets in the proper thickness. I bought a sheet and made a bunch of replacement pads for my university's Manfrotto plates from a template I hade created.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A standard technique for positioning countertop laminate ("Formica") is to put contact cement on both surfaces, let dry completely, and then place a sheet of kraft wrapping paper on the base. Ideally, the paper will cover all but a fraction of an inch at the most critical edge or corner. The laminate is placed on top, and positioned carefully. (The small amount of adhesive that bonds is weak enough to be error correction.) Then the kraft paper is pulled out, and the bond made progressively from one side to the other to prevent bubbles.

It think that for something as small as a tripod top, I would use waxed paper or even silicone release paper to do essentially the same thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Consider adhesive backed nonslip vinyl for use in showers and bathtubs. I resurfaced the platform of a Tiltall tripod a number of years ago and it is still holding up very well. It was easy to cut to the exact shape and install.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    A standard technique for positioning countertop laminate ("Formica") is to put contact cement on both surfaces, let dry completely, and then place a sheet of kraft wrapping paper on the base. Ideally, the paper will cover all but a fraction of an inch at the most critical edge or corner. The laminate is placed on top, and positioned carefully. (The small amount of adhesive that bonds is weak enough to be error correction.) Then the kraft paper is pulled out, and the bond made progressively from one side to the other to prevent bubbles.

It think that for something as small as a tripod top, I would use waxed paper or even silicone release paper to do essentially the same thing.
    I just cut a square of cork a little but bigger than the plate, glued it down with contact adhesive then trimmed it flush with a razor blade. An Exacto knife blade cuts the center hole quite nicely.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

Actually, the technique I was taught for countertops (Dad was in the trades) was narrow strips of wood or scrap from the Formica. Using that model, I think flat toothpicks might be the way to go for such a small job. (Release paper actually sounds like a good idea!)

I am now in possession of both unadhesived cork (and glue) and the self-adhesive kind. I am going to experiment and will get back to this thread with the results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin