Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,673   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Adhesive for sheet cork? (tripod head)

I need to replace the padding on a tripod head. I have some 1/16" thick sheet cork that would be suitable, but looking for recommendations on a good adhesive for the cork to metal. OR, there is similar material available at the "home center" with "self adhesive" (used for cabinet liners, etc.). Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pliobond brand contact cement. Clean the metal surface with steelwool.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just about any contact adhesive will do the job - Another alternative is double sided sticky tape as used for carpets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3m super 77.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would imagine that contact cement would work fine. Usually available in tube or small cans. Coat both surfaces, let dry till tacky, then CAREFULLY put them together. I say carefully, because once they make contact, they're stuck! Just a little pressure and it's a permanent bond. Make sure not to get it on your screw threads or other surfaces and you should be fine. I'm probably making it sound harder than it is, but a little care is involved in using most glues.
    Hope this helps.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adhesive tape, solvent-based household cement, rubber cement (contact cement), epoxy cement. All would work.

I find contact cement most appropriate for the intended use: it's easy to apply, stays flexible and even allows taking the cork off again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for the Pliobond. I found mine at a model railroad hobbyist store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A pity you're in the USA or I would have sent you a self adhesive cork floor tile. As stated any contact cement would work Evo-stick or Bostick are the sort of trade names in the UK.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ditto on the carpet tape. Fast, easy and secure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I sort of figured that contact cement would be a consensus, and I am familiar with the material and how to use it. I was hoping something more "workable" would show up. I am going to try the self-adhesive stuff, and if it fails, I'll use contact cement.

I'm replacing the pad on one of these Manfrotto plates, so fitting is tricky and getting it a little wonky with the contact cement is a possibility.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ase_Plate.html

Thanks, y'all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin