Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,914   Online: 784

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Everyone approached making a camera differently
    And some of us start a camera and abandon it half way through two or three times before settling on a design we actually want.

If you're not sure, start building one out of MDF and when you are happy with it, progressively replace the parts with pieces made from your chosen wood.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast14riot View Post
    Haha, I have been charged by a herd of cattle as well!

I just finished reading the build-along on Rayment Kirby and that project sound perfectly feasable for my abilities.

Now, I am thinking of something in the 5x7 size range, maybe smaller like a quarter sheet. What would be a good lens for general landscape or urban landscape. Basically, I need a bit of hand holding to find the starting bits of kit to build a camera around.

Appreciate all the info thus far!

-Xander

There's a simple chart at the top of the page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_lens

It lists the normal "Focal Lengths" for common formats. Converting the mm to inches may help you find and old brass barrel lens of the correct focal length. But, I'm going to guess you really want a mechanical shutter for starters? Ebay is your friend. And you might find a decent starter lens/shutter here on APUG or at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

You can also start the camera and use a pinhole as your lens. Once everything is up and running, replace the pinhole with a standard lens/shutter.

O.F.

Some bellows info: http://books.google.com/books?id=P-I...camera&f=false

Hand holding ;-) . . . in eBay's "Cameras & Photo" section try a general search for "lens shutter" or "brass lens" etc. See what pop's up.
    Last edited by DannL; 06-03-2013 at 03:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Do a Google search for Rayment Kirby Cameras.

And I have some plans in CAD form which might be of some use.

Steve.
    I checked the Kirby link and it looked nice. But everything was 4x5's and other little cameras. I'd love to get my hands on a good 8x10 plan that was light, substantial, and easy to make.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanx again, O.F. Just knowing what common search terms to use helps a bunch. I am not incapable of doing the research myself, just need to be pointed in the right direction! I think I have enough now to get me started in the right direction.

I will start putting a plan together and digging through my materials on hand. I'm thinking a carbon fiber laminate for the frontand rear standards, possibly a wood base.

-Xander

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hasluck's Photographic Cameras and Accessories has plans for a whole-plate camera, bellows, etc. There is a free electronic version online but it is also frequently available as a hardcopy on Ebay or here:http://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/product-p/22520.htm

It's fairly simple in its plans and description but worth the price IMO, especially the free one.

As far as bellows, you might have a look at the article listed in my signature.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Making bellows. Hmmm. Never considered that. Wonder how hard it could be. Life's getting shorter for me. Having to curtail my new learnings. Don't want to croak with a lot of unfinished projects. You know what happens to old guys who kick off with a bunch of unfinished projects around my town? They end up at Hall's Auction and your whole life has a net worth of about 2 or 3 thousand dollars in old worthless junk. When I take on a project, it has to get done.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Making bellows. Hmmm. Never considered that. Wonder how hard it could be
    http://www.freewebs.com/stevesmithphoto/bellows.html

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh yeh! All those great bellows ideas spurred another. In lieu of a standard bellows, and to speed up building a camera, one could design a simple "bag bellows" which could be replaced at a later date. I know I lose motivation when there are "objects in the road" that slow down a project. Just chucking out ideas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm currently making an 8x10 based on the phillips/chamonix design. I'm using baltic birch (fiberglass cloth/epoxy coated) and aluminum. Pretty simple for the most part but I'm brand new to working with a milling machine so it's slow going.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Neat job. As for me, I can't seem to find any of my lasers. I know I had them laying around here some place...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin