Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,869   Online: 1010

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Lol, ^^^

Yeah, having a laser cutter makes the job so much less tedious!

I really like the 4x5 field camera on the Kirby site, but he doesn't mention what the bellows dimensions are or where he got them. I'm thinking for my first, it might be best to get an off the shelf product to keep things simple. I'm currently looking at the Rodenstock Ysarex 127mm lenses, I am wondering if I can put enough travel in the Kirby design to use it. I saw a bunch of these lenses for sale for cheap, but not many 150mm lenses under $100. The cheaper to start with, the better. Seems the Rodenstock lens covers 4x5 just fine, anything I should be aware of or reasons I should avoid these lenses?

-Xander

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    As for me, I can't seem to find any of my lasers. I know I had them laying around here some place.
    Every household needs a laser cutter and a CNC router. I keep mine at work - they think that they own them but they're mine really!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My construction efforts so far use matboard, cardboard, scissors, a big swing-arm paper cutter, tape, glue, time, effort, patience and the recycling bin. Someday I'll graduate to wood. Current project is an 8x10 paper negative camera using the B&L rapid rectilinear lens from an old Kodak 3A ( with one element removed to get coverage. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Every household needs a laser cutter and a CNC router. I keep mine at work - they think that they own them but they're mine really!!

Steve.
    Oooo, Oooo don't forget the 3D printer.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd second the idea of building it in matboard or foamcore first particularly if you are making a folding camera.....particularly if you aren't modeling it in CAD. Also, do consider the wood you use. Quarter sawn oak is crazy strong and stable.....and heavy. Straight grain cherry is a pretty reasonable compromise. Carbon fiber and cherry would make a nice combination.

Also, I think everyone needs a water jet cutter also. How else are you going to cut out those titanium parts? Actually, it is pretty cheap to have parts waterjet cut if you have the 2D cad file.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Titanium parts will be milled, no reworking needed after unlike waterjet. I only am thinking of red oak because I have a couple 12' boards of good quality stuff.

-X

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RE: The Oak, Weight is a consideration but the machinability I'd think would be better with Cherry or Mahogany.
    Smaller sizes are around the net and at Rockler.com
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A LF camera can be as simple as two nested boxes.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    RE: The Oak, Weight is a consideration but the machinability I'd think would be better with Cherry or Mahogany.
    Smaller sizes are around the net and at Rockler.com
    At this point, weight is the lowest factor on my list of considerations for a working LF camera. Ultimately, the "final product" (in quotes as if there is such a thing...) will be in carbon fiber and titanium. I love working red oak, I know its properties well, its density is on par with mahagony and others, but the most important feature it has is being paid for already. I like cherry, its nice and all, but it not as tough as red oak. Plus, the red oak I have is already at <10% moisture content, extremely stable dimensionlly.

(Can't figure out how to multi-quote on my phone)

Gerald, your comment is not taken in jest. I have been thinking about something as simple as that for my first working mock-up. Mainly I need to figure out exactly which back and inexpensive lense I want. The less money the better, and repair is not out of the question.

-Xander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's worth looking on the Large Format forum - you need to be a subscriber though to see & use the For Sale and Wanted section (it's free). One seller has some new LF (5x4) camera backs for sale at excellent prices.

Ian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin