Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,261   Online: 753

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adhesive/light tight seal questions

I again find myself in the middle of building another pinhole camera. This time the "box," which is already constructed, is a piece of raku fired ceramics. The back/film holder piece will be constructed from wood. Where the wooden part connects to the ceramic part I need to use some sort of adhesive for the attachment and also some sort of light tight sealent around the borders of the ceramic part and the wooden part (this would be on the inside of the "box.") In my first camera I used PVA and india ink, however that one was all wood and was easily accessible from the rear. This one will probably require using my fingers as a spatula. Film size will be 5X7 or maybe 4X5. I built it thinking 4X5, however it will accommodate 5X7. So two questions? What adhesive will attach the two pieces forever. What caulking/light stopping substance should I use to seal the inside of the camera. I have crossed the Rubecon on this project so re-engineering will likely not be an option. Oh, and this camera promises to be every bit as intersting as the last one. Thanks in advance for any advice. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about the cement they sell for automotive weatherstripping. I believe that comes in black. Being elastic it should absorb any motion between humidity induced wood dimensional changes and the rigid ceramic. I recall it being a bit messy to work with though. Even a black acrylic latex caulk might suffice.

As one who also dabbles in ceramics, it sounds like a fun project. I may one of these days take a crack at a ceramic pinhole camera myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bill,
    Just a suggestion: glue with epoxy (wear nitrile gloves) and seal the seams with vinyl caulking, paint with matte black on the inside or use polyester that black pigment can be added to (should be available from a boat/marine supplier). I have no experience building a pinhole camera having taking the lazy man's approach with an Ilford Titan.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PC7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

PC7

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    PC7
    Great. Priced OK and available from Grainger. That'll work. Bill Barber

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin