Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,443   Online: 884

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    newcan1, I believe that the element sets simply unscrew (carefully, use a pair of pliers, newcan1).

As far as the oil: impregnate a clean, soft tissue with some lighter fluid and carefully use that to moisten the blades, then wipe off with dry, clean tissue. You will have to continually move the aperture blades (this is where the oil hides) and the shutter blades. (You might even do THIS: fire at BULB, insert a finger or other rather soft object in the hole and then 'close' the shutter. Obviously, the shutter blades will not close completely and you will see what oil lurks when the shutter blades are partially closed. Be careful and this should not damage anything.

Actually this whole cleaning might be better accomplished by squirting the lighter fluid directly into the whole lens assembly (with all glass elements removed, first) if there is a lot of oil, in order to drain all the grime. I would have to see it to advise you further but be certain to make sure ALL is completely dry before screwing on the element sets. What I do is this: after all the grime is drained and the assembly is clean, I put the mechanism in my oven. The pilot light keeps the temp at about 110 F so it dries completely overnight. But, just to make certain, every few hours work the aperture and shutter blades to uncover hidden lighter fluid so it will dry quicker. Don't force anything. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 06-23-2013 at 12:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Where does one buy lighter fluid? I assume you mean cigarette lighter fluid, not charcoal lighter fluid.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use charcoal lighter fluid (it is cheaper) and NOW, at this time of the year especially, it is easy to buy. Put some in a smaller squeeze bottle so it will be easier to squirt.

And, of course, as you stated in post #20, make certain that there are NO loose screws. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 06-23-2013 at 12:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zippo brand,but,depending on your market..Rizla ,or..anything. Should be labelled "Petroleum Spirit -1271 ", and come in a metal can with a sealable spout.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well the shutter has been cleaned as best I could, and reassembled. I took the camera with that lens for a test run today - the negatives look good! Thanks all for your helpful advice.

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as 1/125, 1/250, 1/500 'looking all the same'...do this: in a dim room hold the lens so that it faces a white piece of paper. Because of the dimness, that paper will not be too bright and where your eye is, is even dimmer. Look through the lens (eyes about 12 inches away from the lens): fire at open aperture at all three fast speeds. You should see a marked difference with brightness in this way.

In full room light they tend to 'look all the same' but with 'just enough' light coming through and with your viewing area dim (so that extraneous light does not get in the way), there should be a difference. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi David - thanks for this tip. I'll give it a try.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin