Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,841   Online: 991

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mamiya C3 - shutter problem

I bought a very nice Mamiya C3 from a fellow APUGer last week, who very honestly had described a problem with the shutter on the 80mm lens that came with it. I got a good price and 2 other lenses, and am very happy with the kit.

But of course, now I am wondering how hard it would be to strip the 80mm lens down to examine what might be wrong with the shutter. Taking the lens elements off is easy - but all that exposes is the shutter leaves. I don't know how to strip down further to the shutter mechanism.

Basically, no matter what setting it is turned to, it fires at about 1/60 sec. So it works, but won't change speeds.

The lens has "Seikosha S" on it, which I assume describes the shutter. Any tips on how to strip this thing down would be most welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't speak to do-it-yourself work, but if you decide to send it to a shop, I've had Flutot's Camera Repair (http://flutotscamerarepair.com/) do work on my Mamiya TLR shutters and they have done a good job.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks - I saw their webpage. But they have a backlog and I think it would be at least $80 or so to have them look at it - I think I could get a replacement lens for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have little or no experience with a shutter like this I'd have to advise against trying to DIY.

You need the correct tools to start and them sheeesh. These things have tiny gears, escapements, etc and only need a tiny bit of lube at the correct places.

I'm sure some crotchety apugger will come along and marvel how easily they fixed theirs, or how they gushed it with ronsonol and all was well but I'd look for another or get this one repaired by a competent repairman.

BTW, 80 bills is n't an exorbitant price for a full teardown and repair/lube.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    80 bills isn't bad - but I can buy a replacement for the same price - I figured I could tear this one down, and even if I fail, I wouldn't be behind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could buy another for 80, but how soon will it need a CLA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had Paul Ebel work on a Mamiya tlr lens that had the same problem, he did a great job since he's worked on a lot of them. Cost including return shipping was about $95, which I thought was fair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having your equipment maintained is part of the cost being a serious photographer if you need to come back to your client with pictures , not excuses.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    True, I suppose that once CLA'd it would last a very long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    80 bills isn't bad - but I can buy a replacement for the same price...
    True...but your next lens may have problems, too.

There use to be an *Bay seller with the handle of 'nikondave' that sold illustrated/breakdown repair manuals for all kinds of cameras and lenses; including Mamiya TLR cameras and lenses.

Also, along with Flutot's, (mentioned in post #2), for shutter repairs, apparently Mamiya USA (MAC), sold all/most of their remaining Mamiya TLR parts to KEH Camera, in Georgia. KEH may end up being the last bastion for Mamiya TLR repair, simply because they now have all of the remaining factory supplied repair parts for these cameras.

Unfortunately, they won't sell the parts individually.
    They only use the parts when repairing lenses and/or cameras sent into their repair shop.

Another age related problem you're facing is your "Seikosha S" model shutter.
    Those shutters were in the earliest lenses commonly called the 'Chrome' lenses.
    There hasn't really been any parts available for those lens shutters for quite some time.
    If you do opt for purchasing another lens, try to get a 'Black' lens, preferably one that has a 'Blue-Dot' on the shutter cocking lever.

Picture comparison example...Old 'Chrome' lens on the left,
    Newest 'Black-S' lens, w/the best muti-coatings of any Mamiya TLR lens on the right:
    http://farm1.staticflickr.com/93/245...e6be09ac_z.jpg

Below, are examples of the three (3) different generations of the 'Black' series of 80mm TLR lenses.

First-production, Black, 'Plain-Dot' 80mm TLR lens:
    http://dzpcameracafe.files.wordpress...9/m-c220-g.jpg

Mid-production, Black, 'Blue-Dot' 80mm TLR lens:
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3432/3...8cc_z.jpg?zz=1

Newest/last-production, 'Black S - Blue-Dot,' 80mm TLR lens:
    http://www.cretephotography.com/imag...0/700_9623.jpg
    *Note: This latest 'S' series 'Blue-Dot' lens is easily identified by the absence of any lens markings around the lens face.

Good luck!

Marc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin