Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,431   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Agfa Isolette is not expensive camera, so you can try with ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

I was joking, I did put smile on the end...but it looks like it was not obvious :\ ... sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I was joking, I did put smile on the end...but it looks like it was not obvious :\ ... sorry.
    No need to apologize. I reacted because my son shot some WD-40 in my OM-4 to unstick the grease in the rewind mechanism. It set me back nearly $300 to rehab my baby because of it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    NO--HELL NO!!!!!! Do NOT ever put this $h!t on anything photographic. Use a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the edge of the helical and wait a bit. Then wiggle the focus with a rubber pad for added grip. Repeat as needed to un-stick.
    +1 on the lighter fluid. Worked on my frozen Super Speedex that was stuck on infinity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lighter fluid in combination w/ the hair dryer works for me. What Rick said regarding WD40!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I did laugh at the WD-40 comment It's not really a "special" camera to me, just a camera that's been sitting around. I'm working on the lighter fluid and letting it sit in the sun little by little, I feel a little wiggle now, so it seems to be working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have fun! It is absolutely great fun. I have an old Isolette 1 I am practicing on. I decided it wasn't really worth much and so any damage done experimenting was free experience.

My lens came out along with the focusing helical itself, which is not really supposed to happen. I put them both in a small glass bottle, covered the assembly with some Goo-Gone (which for all I know may be as bad as WD-40), and walked away for a month. When I returned the two pieces came apart very easily and all the old, green, goo cleaned out of the threads using only some Dawn dish soap, an old toothbrush, and some hot water. I have not yet re-assembled it, but, aside from a final lens cleaning, everything appears ready to go back together. I have been holding off until I got around to buying some real lens helical lubricant, but have just about decided to just go with a small dab of white grease and some q-tips.

My next step is to construct a homemade bellows as the old one reveals more points of light than the sky at night. I have no idea whether it will work at all when I finish but I am having great fun with it anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the holes in the bellows aren't too awfully big, you can paint them with black fabric paint to repair.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black automotive type RTV gasket silicone rubbed into the corners that are really bad works works well, too. Bellows end up- a bit stiff but still close.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    If the holes in the bellows aren't too awfully big, you can paint them with black fabric paint to repair.
    Thank you. I will certainly give that a try.

Likewise Mike. I will explore your idea of RTV silicone as well.

Hmm, this little camera may be going sooner than I thought!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin