Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,060   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Agfa Isolette I stuck at 8 ft

I have an Agfa Isolette I with Agnar 1:4.5/85 lens. The aperture and shutter speed rings work fine, but the focus ring is stuck at 8 ft, I cannot get it to unfreeze. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would create a series of photographs called "Stuck at 8 Feet"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lindyhopper View Post
    I would create a series of photographs called "Stuck at 8 Feet"
    excellent advice.

Also when you close to f16 - I think it will cover up to infinity? There are DOF markings on lens...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Better yet, a series not only at 8ft, but at f8, and 1/8th of a second!

Or you can take a look and see if the camera was dropped, check for dents along the lens. A dented lens may not turn. If it looks ok you can try warming the camera up, let it sit on a window sill for a bit and try moving it. Sometimes the older grease will loosen with a bit of warmth. And if you are really feeling up to it, you can try a drop or two of naphtha along gap where the focusing ring is. This isn't the best way as you can have the liquid and whatever dirt and grease it carries get onto the lens elements or aperture blades.

Other obvious options is to send it out for a cla if it's an important camera to you, or you can try and strip it youself.

Shooter
    35mm
    The lubricant used by Agfa for focusing helicoids dries out over time and locks the lens up. Do a search using the terms "agfa", "green" and "grease" for repair suggestions.
    the following link may also be of some help:

http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/repair.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa Isolette is not expensive camera, so you can try with ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post

NO--HELL NO!!!!!! Do NOT ever put this $h!t on anything photographic. Use a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the edge of the helical and wait a bit. Then wiggle the focus with a rubber pad for added grip. Repeat as needed to un-stick.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I brought an Ansco Speedex, cousin to an isolette, back to life with a week long application of napthta to the focusing helical after taking alluminum scale covering off.
    One or two drops of naptha per night from a small medicine dropper.
    At the end of the week, gripped the supposed to move part with a curved jaw slip joint pliers sized to fit best.
    Made a gentle but insistent tug, while trying not to squeeze the grip too tight.

After it budged I pulled the helical out of the body track, and used the head of a pin to chace the last of the damned green goo out of the assembly.

A tiny bit of moly white grease was then smeared across all three thread paths, and the front element reassembled
    On to re-collimate the lens focussing scale with the temporary mylar 'ground glass' one night.
    Done by looking at a distant streetlight down the road as a stand in for infinity on an otherwise moonless night.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post

I would rather recommend you not to follow this suggestion unless you want to completely f*** up your
    lens/shutter unit.

I have repaired several Agfa folders with frozen helicals and heat has always worked for me.

First, take off the outer ring with the distance markings (three little set screws). Mark infinity position with
    a pencil on the black painted part close to the front element.
    Then carefully heat the lens/shutter unit with a hair dryer for several minutes. Take it easy, don't get carried away, the focus ring
    should be hot too touch, but you should not burn your fingers. From time to time, put the dryer away and
    try to move the helical with your bare hands. Use a piece rubber as a friction tool. I don't recommend
    to use a pair of pliers or similar, as you might damage the element or the threads by compressing thbrute force.
    It may take some time, but eventually the front element will unscrew.
    Mark the place where threads start to come apart and use the same position when reassembling.
    You can then clean the old lube out with a cotton bud/swab and your favorite solvent.
    Iso-propanol works well for me. Be careful and make sure you get nothing of the old glue/solvent on the glass, as you probably will not be able to remove
    it from there without damaging the coatings which are very soft. If you don't have access to professional helical lube
    you can use vaseline to relube the helical after you have cleaned out the old stuff.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, lighter fluid seems to be the preferred substance for breaking down solidified green grease. Avoid WD40 as mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin