Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,210   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellows repair

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt that it would survive the procedure, I checked again and there were more weak spots and would-be tears than I first thought. These bellows are nothing but holes I am afraid. I am trying to source myself some compatible bellows somehow, I even wrote to Surplus Shed in a desperate attempt. Making my own would be the most desperate attempt because surprise-surprise, a lot of the stuff needed is only sold in bigger amounts that I will ever use up, making it quite costly and as someone said - there is nothing worse than making just one set of bellows.

If anyone reading this has a spare one around that will stretch to about 25cm/10 inches or so, please let me know, maybe we can arrange something.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sticking an extra layer of blackout cloth will probably work but will restrict the amount you can close the belos up by - which might not be an issue in your case.

If you want to have a go at making bellows, here is my method using an old changing bag: http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/bellows.html

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd make new bellows, it's not difficult. I need to make a few sets in the next month or so for some restorations, a half plate camera and a quarter plate enlarger, (both Thornton Pickard) and also for two new cameras I'm building.

Most of us are wary of buying from Rocky cameras, having seen him in action purchasing items I'd steer well away. He has a reputation . . . . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I'd make new bellows, it's not difficult. I need to make a few sets in the next month or so for some restorations, a half plate camera and a quarter plate enlarger, (both Thornton Pickard) and also for two new cameras I'm building.

Most of us are wary of buying from Rocky cameras, having seen him in action purchasing items I'd steer well away. He has a reputation . . . . . . . .

Ian
    Yeah, I've heard about his reputation but thought of givin him a chance. Big mistake. Already opened a dispute as the camera was described as in fully working order and optically perfect. Besides the bellows being nothing but pinholes, the shutter was sticky and way off on the slow speeds, the glass had fungus and haze and half of the metal parts have corrosion. This was marketed as in fully working order

I'll PM you regarding the bellows, Ian!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VPooler View Post
    Yeah, I've heard about his reputation but thought of givin him a chance. Big mistake. Already opened a dispute as the camera was described as in fully working order and optically perfect. Besides the bellows being nothing but pinholes, the shutter was sticky and way off on the slow speeds, the glass had fungus and haze and half of the metal parts have corrosion. This was marketed as in fully working order
    Back in late April I was alongside Mr Rock as a seller emptied a box of untested items (cameras & lenses) he was buying items at £5 each with just a cursory glance. Now bearing in mind the seller had already taken the best items out beforehand and was just off-loading the rest that seems to sum up why there's so many complaints.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That seems to be the common business practice these days, I am afraid. Our local auction site is filled to the brim with guys like this, only that they charge a lot more for their rubbish. 350€ for a Fed-3 with a missing lens and cracked viewfinder, marketed as fully working out of the box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VPooler View Post
    That seems to be the common business practice these days, I am afraid. Our local auction site is filled to the brim with guys like this, only that they charge a lot more for their rubbish. 350€ for a Fed-3 with a missing lens and cracked viewfinder, marketed as fully working out of the box.
    I paid £10 for a nice Zorki C last Autumn, Fed 2's were the same price - no lenses, then the at a later camera fair the same seller had Jupiter 8's for £10 some mint but all OK, in fact Mr Rock spotted me going back to buy a second and came and bought some as did a more reputable dealer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I at least got a refund from Rocky but still, it is a setback. I was quite excited about cannibalizing an old quarter plate folder to give life to a bit more modern wooden 4x5 folder and since bellows are the most expensive thing to source besides a good lens, I was quite happy at first to get a cheap, seemingly intact camera. So much for that. I currently own a good lens and a focusing mechanism with 5 film holders on their way, so I am half way done with getting the stuff I need. Better than nothing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This has been posted before but the method keeps working. Even bellows I patched 10 years ago still function perfectly.

The key item is 3M polyester tape type #850 black. This tape is so thin, 0.05mm, that it does not bulk up the bellows even if you covered the whole thing. The tape is very flexible so it can be used to patch pinholes in the corners and then the bellows can be re-pleated easily. Best of all the adhesive is strong, doesn't bleed, doesn't creep, and never goes gooey.

The downside? It is an $$$ expensive roll of tape.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    This has been posted before but the method keeps working. Even bellows I patched 10 years ago still function perfectly.

The key item is 3M polyester tape type #850 black. This tape is so thin, 0.05mm, that it does not bulk up the bellows even if you covered the whole thing. The tape is very flexible so it can be used to patch pinholes in the corners and then the bellows can be re-pleated easily. Best of all the adhesive is strong, doesn't bleed, doesn't creep, and never goes gooey.

The downside? It is an $$$ expensive roll of tape.
    Another downside would be that I would have to order it overseas. Easier and cheaper to either make or buy new bellows. Downside of living in the outskirts of civilised Europe...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin