Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,564   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not exactly camera building and it is closely related

I'm interested in trying my hand at building a split back contact printing frame. It doesn't look like rocket science, however a source for the spring steel is essential. Anybody have any suggestions on where one might get the steel or have the springs made?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most small engineering companies can make the springs, I had some made for a 5x4 camera back a few years ago and I'm about to get more springs made for contact frames when I've finalised the design.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could work around this by having the paddles that secure it be rigid pieces of something mounted on center pivots with a coil spring under it on the pivot. A ¼" of good hardwood for the paddle and a washer to protect it from the spring. That being said a quick google search turned up lots of possible solutions for flat spring steel. You could even do away with the spring and use a similar bit of engineering to a book press.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Their cheap enough on the auction site by using a "printing frame" search or you can buy the spring steel with the same search term. Build your next one with the spring steel and don't forget you need good felt.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I'm interested in trying my hand at building a split back contact printing frame. It doesn't look like rocket science, however a source for the spring steel is essential. Anybody have any suggestions on where one might get the steel or have the springs made?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sp...sheets/=ngn35m

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    sometimes car parts stores have springs for suspension
    not sure if they are light weight enough for a split back ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FYI, I made a discovery years ago that may help in this project. Aluminum stock when formed into a curve, perty much retains the curve indefinitely. So knowing that, I made the springs for my 8x10 contact printer from 1/2"x1/16" aluminum stock that I purchased at Lowes (or Home Depot). I simply created the two springs with a slight curve by forming them around a large bucket. The contact printer frame itself was made from a solid wood picture frame. It still works like a champ. I can post a picture of this contraption, if desired.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    FYI, I made a discovery years ago that may help in this project. Aluminum stock when formed into a curve, perty much retains the curve indefinitely. So knowing that, I made the springs for my 8x10 contact printer from 1/2"x1/16" aluminum stock that I purchased at Lowes (or Home Depot). I simply created the two springs with a slight curve by forming them around a large bucket. The contact printer frame itself was made from a solid wood picture frame. It still works like a champ. I can post a picture of this contraption, if desired.
    This will depend upon the particular aluminium alloy and what temper it's supplied in. Some alloys/tempers are like butter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    This will depend upon the particular aluminium alloy and what temper it's supplied in. Some alloys/tempers are like butter.
    Then I wouldn't suggest using the "Buttery" type. Use the other kind. ;-)

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cut down hacksaw blades with the teeth ground off work well on my 10x8 camera.
    I interleaved thin strips of wood to beef them up.
    Most Model Engineering suppliers will stock spring steel strip but you will need to heat treat it after cutting and shaping it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG2846.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin