Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,941   Online: 1073

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Wonder how much it would cost to take it to somebody. Preferably somebody who is not a boob. There's boobs out there and they don't wear signs identifying themselves.
    For a simple cleaning expect to spend about $200 as a minimum. About 60 to 80 percent of those out there have no business touching a watch for anything beyond winding the thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    As you say... it all depends upon what the watch and case really are, but it sounds like a problem with the "detent spring" in the neck of the case to me. I've experienced that with Waltham's in Philadelphia Watch Case Co cases where the spring gets dry and worn and deformed. I carry a very pedestrian 15 jewel 1883 model open-face Waltham in a gold-filled case that has at least 50% of the gold worn off. Even before me it was a well used watch... and I've been carrying it since 1978!
    There's a name the casemakers used for that spring and ferrule assembly that is escaping me at the moment. Sometimes the tapered shoulder on the stem wears flat and causes this problem. Then sometimes the spring is damaged by the last "watchmaker" or the wrong spring/stem combination is used....

Real watches have a fusee and are wound with a key, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sleeve. (I had to look it up myself... too many things to remember and some of the old memories sure have faded.)http://www.ofrei.com/page441.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    For a simple cleaning expect to spend about $200 as a minimum. About 60 to 80 percent of those out there have no business touching a watch for anything beyond winding the thing.
    Well that's another thing around here that isn't going to get done anytime soon. As little as I use it, I guess I'll just keep waiting for the right time to come around and wind it. It's still dead on the money twice a day. When that happens you wind it so you don't have to tug on that stem. Thanks, guys.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tom1956: I love your use of PVC pipe to turn the ring logo. Sometimes the 'obvious' is like trying to discover the wheel. - David Lyga

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    For the front rings, I go to a hardware store and find a piece of pvc pipe fitting in the plumbing section, or improvise a similar correct-diameter hollow tube. Then I tear thin strips of duct tape to make a cushion on the edge of the pipe fitting. This cushion gives friction so I can push down on that lens ring to try to get a "grab" so I can start turning. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    I'm surprised that it worked with that tape.

But your hint gave me the idea to apply a fit O-ring to the lens instead and then use that pipe as described.

Shooter
    Large Format
    David--glad to hear it. Thanks. Agx--that's another good idea for when you get the opportunity to get your hands on the right O-rings. Done that too.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If one could lay hands on conical pipes... just cut them to the desired diameter.

Maybe funnels would work, if not too elastic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Funnels are too thin and flimsey--not enough thickness ti give needed surface area. You ususally need to press down with all your might, and that usually tears up and shreds the duct tape. You usually have to re-tape it a couple times before you finally get it loose. I am a very persiwstent fellow and this method has EVENTUALLY worked for me every time. Sometimes gums up the edge of the glass though, but never seems to damage the coating, mysteriously enough. If it does, then paint thinner cleans it. Face it, when you had nothing for a lens to begin with, you might have to break a few eggs to make the omelet. Anybody's dumb idea can work, and I get lots of dumb ideas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gumming up is no problem as lighter fluid is, again, to the rescue. - David Lyga

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin