Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,432   Online: 782

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Open-source 3D printed SLR.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I saw this yesterday and thought it was interesting. But more interesting is that this technology could be used for repair parts, no longer available. Broke the Hasselblad winding knob, can't buy a replacement? Print a new one. Need a particular slanted metal holder for a Leica III? Print a new one. I don't know if the technology is there yet and it definitely isn't cheap enough now, but it will be soon.
    Last edited by Kevin Kehler; 07-10-2013 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the meanwhile, befriend someone who works in a machine shop and knows his way around a CNC milling bench. I am a bit wary about printing out plastic replacements unless the part I am replacing is made of plastic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can print in metal too, though it costs a bit more and isn't possible on typical home printers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You can print in metal too, though it costs a bit more and isn't possible on typical home printers.
    Yeah, I know. And I saw a printer that had no problem with making an adjustable wrench and colouring it at the same time out of some fine powder; I really liked it.
    I don't particulary like the printers that use a thread of molten plastic to make stuff and the hype around them, instead the engineers who spend time fiddling around with them could make an affordable printer that uses granules of plastic, metal or even ceramic. I mean, the molten thread ones are cool for making knick-knacks but I want precision and durability. I thought of investing that 500$ in a tabletop lathe/mill combo instead of an 3D printer. Now, if I would only have that 500$

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have you considered building a CNC router/mill instead? Costs about the same as a 3D printer though a good spindle is a little more $. Not as flexible (you can't do internal voids) but the precision is far higher and you can work in basically any material if you have a good spindle and the right (tungsten carbide) bits.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin