Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,146   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Fungus removal for a Minolta 110 Zoom SLR MK1

Hello everyone,

I have a Minolta 110 SLR and whilst shooting today noticed what appears to be fungus on the interior of the lens. As far as i'm aware the lens is fixed and can only be removed after dis-assembling the whole camera. Has anyone ever had to do this to this camera? Are there any specific points to look out for?

I have a copy of the service manual so that simplifies things greatly, as well as exploded diagrams.

Are there any specific cleaners that anyone recommends? I don't want to have to do this again at some point, and since I have no sense of smell if it stinks, I don't mind!

Hope I've posted this in the correct part of the forum.

Many thanks - Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Throw it away, it's too late, you'll risk mold spores attaching to your film and spreading to your entire collection...

It's already probably eaten the glass layers if its spiderwebbed.

The body probably should be replaced too since its had contact with the spores...

I sound paranoid...

This is info I've gotten from others when I tried to keep an enlarger with mold.

Good luck sorry.

ALSO I know the least compared to others here, they can elaborate.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds bad I might see if there's a way of killing the mould in situ. Maybe from a pulse of focussed Microwaves or x-rays. A bit over-kill for a £10 camera but I like it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spores are notoriously hard to kill. Maybe strong ionizing radiation like they use in sterilizing facilities. But that could probably kill ALL of the electronics inside.

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I could try a germicidal UV lamp, I know I have at least 2 and probably more knocking around. I'll make a shield to prevent the light from bleaching the plastics. If that doesn't work, i'll take the electronics out then give it a hefty dose of x rays. I'll be sure to use protection (inch or so of lead) for that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just had a good look through the service manual, and judging where the mould is, I can get to it by removing 6 screws then using ethanol. I'll have a go at this when i'm a bit more alert (just gone midnight when I am, have been up since 6)

Will update with results - Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can try wiping it off. If it is still hazy likely the coating is ruined by fungus. Of course fungus spores are everywhere, including your human body, so if you are going to throw stuff out, might as well jump in the dumpster yourself.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You can try wiping it off. If it is still hazy likely the coating is ruined by fungus. Of course fungus spores are everywhere, including your human body, so if you are going to throw stuff out, might as well jump in the dumpster yourself.
    Agreed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks like that's all I can do, If the lens isn't hazy then i'll keep it. If it's minor damage, i'll probably still keep it, or at least look for a parts unit somewhere. It might not even be mould, could just be condensation or something. Either way it looks minor, but i'll have a better look tomorrow afternoon, was going to do it today but the weather was unusually nice :P

Shooter
    35mm
    Cleaned the lens with methylated spirits, appears to have removed all fungus, though minor marks remain from the solvent. I'll try cleaning this again at a later date as the lens disassembly was much easier than I thought it would be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin