Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,278   Online: 850

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple of things:
    First, look to make sure when you move the mag attachment button on top, that the prongs move on the inside face of the mag where it attaches to the camera.

In the future, try to avoid snapping the mag onto the body rather than moving the attachment button back, attaching the mag and then releasing the button.
    As David Odess points out in his FAQ section:

"How can I use my thumb to save my feet?
    When you put a magazine on a Hasselblad body, don't "snap" the top of the magazine on to the body. This creates a lot of pressure on the two feet on the bottom of the body, and will eventually cause the feet to bend. Instead, push the button on the top of the magazine over with your thumb before attaching the magazine to the body." http://www.david-odess.com/faq.html#q16

If either of those don't seem to help. As has been suggested, get it CLA'd. Dave charges $95 bucks I think, to go through a mag and restore it if it can be restored. In using his services for years I've found he's worth it and as good as sending it to Hassie for factory service because he used to work for them before setting out on his own.

And if your CM's feet are bent, the last thing I would try to do is straighten them out by myself. If they're not properly aligned and/or if the springs are damaged, you may cause more problems than just sending it to a qualified tech.
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 07-17-2013 at 12:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are no moving parts on the back to go out of alignment.
    I may be the slots are worn enough to not fully engage the locking prongs.
    It's not hard to swap the plates from one back to another if you want to check the back. No there's nothing to pop out and go into the dimension where all the lost socks go. Take care when putting it back together, I don't remember if the light seal for the dark slide is loose or not.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    There are no moving parts on the back to go out of alignment.
    I may be the slots are worn enough to not fully engage the locking prongs.
    Actually, I beg to differ. At the top of the mag are two slots to engage the camera and latch as you move the thumb button on top. The prongs inside those two slots are spring loaded to clamp to the two hooks on the upper rear of the body to secure the mag to the body.

Also, the gearing slot may be worn and not correctly aligned causing them to not properly engage the camera film advance lever for the mag on the back of the body. I believe there is also a spring on the bottom righth and side of the mag that the body trips to release the mag to allow the film to advance as the body winder is turned. If it gets bent or out of adjustment, the body won't trip the mag release.

And not to be argumentative, but perhaps you can esplain how the slots on the mag or body would be worn so as not to engage the locking prongs (I assume you mean on the top of the rear of the body).

I still think that mag needs a CLA.
    M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    Actually, I beg to differ. At the top of the mag are two slots to engage the camera and latch as you move the thumb button on top. The prongs inside those two slots are spring loaded to clamp to the two hooks on the upper rear of the body to secure the mag to the body.

Also, the gearing slot may be worn and not correctly aligned causing them to not properly engage the camera film advance lever for the mag on the back of the body. I believe there is also a spring on the bottom righth and side of the mag that the body trips to release the mag to allow the film to advance as the body winder is turned. If it gets bent or out of adjustment, the body won't trip the mag release.

And not to be argumentative, but perhaps you can esplain how the slots on the mag or body would be worn so as not to engage the locking prongs (I assume you mean on the top of the rear of the body).

I still think that mag needs a CLA.
    M.
    Ayup, The hooks are in the magazine, not the back. I stand corrected.
    Slots cold be worn through use. Since the works are in in the the mag, probably not.
    Following the same logic(illogic?) could the moving prongs be slightly bent inwards?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think if the mag gets dropped on a hard surface the impact might be enough to distort some of the metal works inside. I had my 553 ELX on a Gitzo studex that went ass over backwards from a sudden jet blast. It landed squarely on it's A-12 hitting a concrete tarmac. Took the licking and kept on ticking but not for much longer when it jammed. Sent it to the David Odess Memorial Hasselblad Hospital and for $95 bucks, he performed life-saving straightening measures. Yeah. It happens under Murphy's laws I guess.
    M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For who is interested my problem has a happy ending. What I noticed when I looked up close is that the screw that holds the plate (close to one of the holes where the hook from the body gets in) was not screwed in all the way. As result the plate was actually bent right above the hole and the hook was not holding well. Due to weight and gravity the back was falling every time. Couple weeks back I changed the light seal on that back and I left that screw half way in. As soon as I screwed in that screw, the problem solved itself and the back is holding well.
    We keep learning . Cheers,
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Furthermore, the back should not be able to detach when the dark slide is in.
    Don't you mean out?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Don't you mean out?
    Correct.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't one of those screws longer than the others on some earlier A12s or an I misremembering.
    For some reason I think I remember reading a thread that one screw was longer (cant remember the last time I replaced a darkslide foam) but them they discontinued the longer screw and made them all the same??

Anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bruce,
    On my backs all the screws holding the plate are the same (9 of them if I remember correctly). I changed the light seals several times and never encountered longer screws. My backs and camera are from approx 1985 or later.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin