Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 680

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the comments whowantstoast, the Koni-omega prices look good for this type of project.
    The reason for choosing good quality but lower cost lenses is not only to keep the cost down.
    The lenses have to spend time in the workshop where there is dust and metal chips etc, during the build of the bayonet mounts etc.
    So far I have been careful, and have no damage , but there is a risk that the lens will be damaged.
    So I would not try to use an expensive MF or LF lens on these projects

By now I am well into the Takumar lenses, i have 3 and also a Computar variable focal 105~150mm out of a 70mm long -roll camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am IMPRESSED!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok, nice machine work and it is a very attractive camera, but why? Can't you just use a P67 with the Tak lenses? How about mounting some LF lenses on it instead of something you can just get off the shelf?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Wombat, was able to see the pix better with the full catalog link (think it was some iPhone incompatibility thingy....).

What a gem that camera is! Look forward to the next one!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cramej View Post
    Ok, nice machine work and it is a very attractive camera, but why? ...
    Yeah, nice job etc etc. But why replicate something that you can buy relatively inexpensively?

Although I understand the concept of doing it 'cos you can, or 'cos it's interesting, fun etc etc.

How about mounting some LF lenses on it instead of something you can just get off the shelf?
    You need to be able to focus them. LF, enlarging lenses etc all need a mechanism such as a helicoid or bellows to focus (it's all do-able). The beauty of a fixed register lens, such as that used by the OP, is that it has a helicoid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2go View Post
    For next, version 2 body I have a big copal "495" shutter, it is on a phenolic plate, does not look like an ordinary shutter, I think it was intended for behind the lens.
    I was happy to find that for $40 . The Takumar 6X7 wide angle lenses are retrofocal and have large diameter rear elements, hence I need a big shutter behind the lens.

<snip>

The thought there is to do as you suggest and make a mini MF camera with a wide angle lens. For example I have a 50mm Rogonar-S enlarger lens.
    I can machine the metric adaptors, and I was looking at the Crayford focusser for that idea.
    regards !
    Oh, the corrupting power of found money! Sorry, found shutter.

The shutters I suggested have maximum openings no smaller than the 45 mm you say y'r Copal 495 has. Ilex and Compound 5s open to around 65 mm.

Play is good, so is keeping busy, but enlarging lenses typically cover around 50 degrees and are of normal construction. When a lens of normal construction is focused to infinity, its rear node will be one focal length from the film plane. A 50 mm enlarging lens will cover 24x36 at infinity with a slight margin for movements.

If you want to use w/a lenses on a box with P67 register, you're pretty well limited to lenses for the P67 and for 6x7 cameras with longer registers.

Good luck, keep on scheming and plotting,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, nice machine work and it is a very attractive camera, but why? Can't you just use a P67 with the Tak lenses? How about mounting some LF lenses on it instead of something you can just get off the shelf?
    I'm not sure you know it, but you've just made an argument for a 2x3 press camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The photos aren't coming up for me on my tablet, but I'm still impressed. As for the "why" of this, why not? Sometimes you just have to make something.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the comments.
    As to why, it is predominantly just a hobby.
    Plus:
    -I read that the while the Pentax 6X7 lenses endure, the bodies can be troublesome, moreover the used bodies still fetch ~ $500 and they are heavier than this one.

-I wanted a real simple robust camera, the body is such the back balances the lens and forms a robust base. It can be sat on the ground or in the grass etc with the lens and back clear of the ground.The lens has a permanent metal hood with UV filter, and no lens cap. It is carried either by its handle or in an old video bag and does not have to be babied.

-This camera has no batteries (after my dslr batteries laid down in the Michigan winter) and can be used with gloves on which is not possible for example with a dslr.
    -Having the spirit level in the viewfinder is good feature, more accurate than the grid in the slr and dslr. However I need to work on a better VF than the present one.

here is a photo of the Medium Format collection so far which puts the DIY body in context.
    https://app.box.com/s/b8di1879qnxjl8h9k1kw

Next job is to add a body for that 55mm, the lens board is already completed as shown.

The Computar variable focal telephoto lens can only be used on the Speed Graphic because it needs the bellows. When that lens is set to 135mm, the rangefinder on the Speed is accurate, and I can use it hand held, although it is heavy.
    Note that while there is a smaller Speed Graphic, these medium format lenses will not fit, they need the 4X5 size camera to get a sufficiently large lens board for the bayonet mount.

Happy MF-ing. There is some thrill in pulling the 120 film out of the tank and seeing 8 big beautiful sharp C41 frames.
    ( Although I haven't got there yet!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Note that while there is a smaller Speed Graphic, these medium format lenses will not fit, they need the 4X5 size camera to get a sufficiently large lens board for the bayonet mount.
    So it seems, but there's a way to do it. In essence, attach the female bayonet to a stepped tube that in turn attaches to the lens board. I've done this with several lenses. You might want to take a look at my lens diary, it is at http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin