Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,462   Online: 1019

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of Betax #4 shutters. The best one appears to fire accurately at all speeds, although I don't have a shutter tester. All your shutter speeds are within half a stop in accuracy, except 1/50. If the shutter has been heavily used, that is as good as it's going to get. IMO, you have a very usable shutter. If you need greater accuracy, you might look into a professionally CLA's Compur or Copal.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Play at the pivot where the main lever mates with the shaft it rotates on, shutter blade pivot pins, and delay gear pins all add up in conjunction with weak springs to cause poor speeds. With the tension removed from any rotating part check its side play, shutter blades and delay gears should turn freely with no side play; operating levers should have less than .001 inch side play. Check pins, shafts, and mating holes for roundness, machine and sleeve elliptical ones.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you. But I am just about convinced the only way I'm going to be able to get proper adjustment of anything in this shutter is to caliper the 3 springs in question, procure some spring-steel stock, and twist myself up some fresh springs. To that end, if anybody can recommend some proper stock, I'd be all ears.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Thank you. But I am just about convinced the only way I'm going to be able to get proper adjustment of anything in this shutter is to caliper the 3 springs in question, procure some spring-steel stock, and twist myself up some fresh springs. To that end, if anybody can recommend some proper stock, I'd be all ears.
    Piano wire, McMaster-Carr has it. Your shutter, by the way, is behaving normally. Go take some pictures, it's not worth the bother of making new springs.
    A properly made spring doesn't go bad anyway. I have and use several wtches 100+ years of age, were springs to weaken with age the rate of a watch (or anything controlled by a balance and balance spring) would become slower and slower. The watch in my pocket today is 101 years old, it has not changed it's rate in the 25~ years I've been using it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks. I intend to use it. But the only way it's behaving even this well is because of all the spring-bending I did to get the springs to play nice against each other. Before, I had .400 for 1/2, and 1/10 all the way past 25, and 1/40 all the way to B. The shutter setting is actually a dial with cam steps, and when it would come to the nest step everything was all mixed up, because of the weak springs. The shutter-return spring for instance doesn't have the strength to hardly move itself, much less the leaves. I've got a copy of
    Simple Escapement Retard Shutter: Photo Equipment Technician Course

on the way, so I'm sure I'll be back in this thing. At least I can shoot something for the time being though.

Shooter
    Large Format

Very interesting on Making Springs

I just plain googled up the question on how to make a camera spring, and see what popped up. Neat.
    http://www.deansphotographica.com/ma...s/springs.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, it turns out 6 months later to be just as I was expecting. The shutter doesn't close dependably again. I remember that the shutter-return (shutter close) spring just doesn't have the strength to do the job. I remember it didn't hardly have enough strength to move its own self, much less the lever that it's supposed to move. I've gotten hold of some music wire and am going to proceed with fabricating a new spring. As it turns out, an internet search to freshen up on spring fabrication and tempering turned up my own thread.
    And I'm going to get all that graphite out of it I slathered it with, as I think it was a dumb idea on my part.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin