Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,096   Online: 811

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

DIY lens - question on image circle

Hi all,

I am going to be building a large format 4x5 camera and use some paper negatives, I have a few large format lenses already for my speed graphic, however I want to make my own (simple) lens and use waterhouse stops to stop the lens down to make it as simple as possible.

Anyway, I am looking into the lens and am having difficultly working out what I need, I am thinking I would need a lens that has a focal lenth of around 150mm which work be a 'normal' lens on a large format camera. Would any 150mm focal length lens work ok or is there a program I can use to work out what lens I need to get? An example is that I can easily get a 50mm diameter 150mm focal length lens, but how do I know that the image circle will be ok?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just created a DIY lens using those macro filter close up lenses, made a negative meniscus lens from a +4 and +2, then reversed a +1 to create a triplet lens which seems to focus at around 150mm or slightly wider, so its an f3 or f2.8 lens

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Image circle won't be a problem with your DIY lens--unless you physically vignette with a barrel. Don't expect much edge sharpness, but it should easily light up a 4x5. BTW, adding positive meniscus lenses doesn't create a negative meniscus lens. You might want to find a copy of Primitive Photography--it has some good info on DIY lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The images aren't great (how ironic) but here is how far I have got:

Attached to speed graphic to test

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most lens elements you can buy singularly will be listed by their Dioptre* value. A Dioptre is 1 divided by the focal length in metres. So a 1000mm lens is 1D, a 500mm lens is 2D, 333mm is 3D, and so on.

150mm is 6.667D. To make it easier, 167mm (close enough) is about 6 Dioptres. To combine lenses, all you have to do is add their Dioptre values.

So you can create a 167mm lens using two 3D lenses or three 2D lenses or a 2D and 4D.

If I was doing this, I think I would do it with two 3 Dioptre lenses with the waterhouse stop exactly in the middle keeping it symmetrical.

Steve.

(* or Diopter for some reason if you're American)
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 08-01-2013 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Most lens elements you can buy singularly will be listed by their Dioptre* value. A Dioptre is 1 divided by the focal length in metres. So a 1000mm lens is 1D, a 500mm lens is 2D, 333mm is 3D, and so on.

150mm is 6.667D. To make it easier, 167mm (close enough) is about 6 Dioptres. To combine lenses, all you have to do is add their Dioptre values.

So you can create a 166mm lens using two 3D lenses or three 2D lenses or a 2D and 4D.

If I was doing this, I think I would do it with two 3 Dioptre lenses with the waterhouse stop exactly in the middle keeping it symmetrical.

Steve.

(* or Diopter for some reason if you're American)
    Thank you so much for your help on this I think I kinda get it, I will have a look for that value when purchasing, I guess I could also make it from 6 1D lenses for example?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch View Post
    Thank you so much for your help on this I think I kinda get it, I will have a look for that value when purchasing, I guess I could also make it from 6 1D lenses for example?
    That would work. One Dioptre is a common size for supplementary close up lenses (it looks like that is what you are using already) the most common being the Canon +1 lens with a 58mm thread.

They seem to be available in 1, 2 and 4 Dioptres but not 3.

The adding of Dioptres method technically only works for lenses very close together but I think all of yours will be close enough for it to be a good approximation.

Something I learned here was that if you put a positive and negative lens together, you can create a degree of zoom by moving them apart.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That would work. One Dioptre is a common size for supplementary close up lenses (it looks like that is what you are using already) the most common being the Canon +1 lens with a 58mm thread.

They seem to be available in 1, 2 and 4 Dioptres but not 3.

The adding of Dioptres method technically only works for lenses very close together but I think all of yours will be close enough for it to be a good approximation.

Something I learned here was that if you put a positive and negative lens together, you can create a degree of zoom by moving them apart.

Steve.
    Ah, the close up lense I have are +1, +2, +4 and +10, could those be the Dioptre values? I wanted to keep the lenses together for ease of focus, however I could look at having a front element and then move the back elements for focus rather than the whole assembly.

With regards to stopping the lens down, I had a Kodak autographic brownie which had the aperture iris in front of the lens rather than behind, I might look into this option as it would allow for the DIY camera to be set up slightly easier than having stops in the middle of the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah, the close up lense I have are +1, +2, +4 and +10, could those be the Dioptre values?
    That's exactly what they are.

With regards to stopping the lens down, I had a Kodak autographic brownie which had the aperture iris in front of the lens rather than behind
    Whilst that's easier to keep it all light proof, I don't think it's optimum.

Some of the early cameras only had one lens element so there wasn't the option of putting the stop in the middle.

I have read that if you keep it symmetrical, any errors are cancelled out.

However, please don't think I'm an expert in this, I am just repeating things I have learned from others on this forum who are more expert than me!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's exactly what they are.

Whilst that's easier to keep it all light proof, I don't think it's optimum.

Some of the early cameras only had one lens element so there wasn't the option of putting the stop in the middle.

I have read that if you keep it symmetrical, any errors are cancelled out.

However, please don't think I'm an expert in this, I am just repeating things I have learned from others on this forum who are more expert than me!

Steve.
    Awesome, I always wondered how they would quantify the figures, in that case is the focal length of that +1 filter 1000mm?

So am I correct in saying that I have added a 50mm lens with a 25mm lens to produce a 166mm lens (negating the reversed +1 lens)?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin