Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1046

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    CNC machines can get ultra precise results. It depends on the speed of your spindle. 18000 revolution is enough to shape any desired strange curves on to lens. They use these lenses at military to laser fusion experiments and there is no way to carve a lens to these shapes with hand.
    I am researching reports from databases for least 12 years and I found a vast use of cnc machines to carving lenses.

And I researched impeller making in this time range and all your success and final finish depends on your software , not machine. There are lots of new cnc machines everywhere but few softwares to direct the spindle with correct curves. And these softwares are expensive like a new machine . You must buy the impeller specific software. I am still receiving reports , etc.

Same thing for submarine propellers , 25 years ago Toshiba sold cnc cam software to ABB and they sold it to Soviets , with that software , Soviets accomplished to make propellers 5 times more silence than the past. us banned the toshiba for 10 years.

Other thing for lens cnc is the metallurgy of cutting tools and Leica kept it as secret.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    CNC machines can get ultra precise results. It depends on the speed of your spindle. 18000 revolution is enough to shape any desired strange curves on to lens.
    Mine runs up to 40,000 rpm but if you run too fast you will melt the material you are trying to cut.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    And you are right about the precision possible with hand work.
    Absolutely. At work I am often asked to make jigs to aid assembling parts together. My suggestions that our staff are capable of assembling by eye with greater precision than I can make a jig often fall on deaf ears (mainly for small parts).

I usually end up making the jig anyway and proving its inferiority!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I could tape a slide on to drum with 1/125 mm precision on to its axis in one seconds with bare hands and eyes or register a 70x110 film in 3 seconds. But at 99.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin