Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,785   Online: 803

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Cut Cylinderical Lens without Frosting , Is water jet suitable ?

I found that pouring and setting big cube of acrylic and cutting cylinderical lenses in it is good idea for diy lens. I got a pm from Steve Smith advising me laser cutter. But as long as I see laser cutter frost the plastic. AFAIK water jet cutters used in glass lens production.

I want to learn do water jet frost or scratch the acrylic ?

Umut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Laser can give a surprisingly good finish to clear acrylic but however you cut it, I think it would need some polishing.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes Steve , I looked to youtube and laser frost the acrylic heavily. I am thinking to not use spacers , aluminum parts when making lenses and I am thinking to cut everything in one package. I mean acrylic would be the lens and the case. So I cant polish the lens element because they are tightly packaged.

I skip the laser cutting and turned in to water jet. I need to know how it does work ?

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 08-11-2013 at 04:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Water jets typically use an abrasive in the water. Even using pure water and no abrasive the finish will be frosted.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWsg4rDrKk
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you very much lxdude. I think there is only one option remained , laser and water wont work.

Does CNC mill cut clean ? I went to GM Fanuc CNC programming course but I did not experience live about plastics. I learned there there is a option for polishing with cnc mill but I dont know.

Do CNC mill cut clean ?
    By the way I will look at youtube also.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyIVZD7rPzM

cnc mill also frost the lens , project is dead.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might look into amateur telescope making. My late uncle used to hand grind up to 14 inch mirrors for telescopes. Here are a couple of sites that might give you some ideas.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res6jv9o/a...ains/id20.html
    or
    http://binoculars.clutchot.com/?p=1330
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello Bruce,

I am looking for a way to manufacture your own lens product in mass quantities with the help of most widely available machine park.
    To do it , I selected cylinderical lenses because you can route it from the top with laser , jet or mill. I bumped to a technological problem is frosting of cut plastic. I think there might be a honing cnc machine to remove the frost from the plastic. If I cant overcome this , molding the acrylic in to shape is the only answer to problem.

Hand grinding spherical lenses are ULTRA dangerous and they cut your hand until the bone.

Umut

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Does CNC mill cut clean ? I went to GM Fanuc CNC programming course but I did not experience live about plastics. I learned there there is a option for polishing with cnc mill but I dont know.
    CNC milling machines use the same tools as manual controlled machines.

Using a rinsing fluid might have positive effect by removing those cut off bits of plastic. The same time the cooling might be counterproductive on the surface smoothness.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello AgX,

May be rinsing oil is helpful but how do they interact with plastic , I dont know. I am going to ask all questions to cnc machining forum and report here.

Umut

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin