Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,210   Online: 825

Shooter
    Large Format

Korona Camera rails - 8x10

Hi Everyone!

I bought an 8x10 Korona camera a few years ago and started to refurbish the ol' thing. The standards seem to be in pretty fair shape, the only thing is - the rails are SHOT on this poor thing. I was curious if anyone knew where I could source a set of replacement rails? Do they have to be specifically made for the Korona or are there other rails for another antique 8x10 that would work? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I think it pretty much has to be the Korona rails. What is wrong with your rails? Could they be repaired?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    The wood under the rear standard is cracked and the tripod mount is coming out in a big way. But the main problem is that the brass fittings that "float" under the side of the wood rails don't line up very well, so moving the front standard out of it's "home' position that allows me to fold the body, is a really difficult endeavor and I'm afraid I'm going to do more harm than good to it.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I think the it would be best if you fix the rail and base, shimming and epoxy as needed.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    haha, that was sort of what I was afraid of. I'm not terribly handy with wood crafts and all that jazz. But, I'm a grad student in Photo and my advisors husband is...well...sort of like the Bob Vila of the camera world. So I'll see what we can come up with. Thanks for your help!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The repair should be fairly straight forward.
    1. Remove both standards from the rails.
    2. Remove the focus track and tripod socket.
    3. Fill an ink refill syringe ( http://www.inksupply.com/accessory.c...find&the_cat=1 ) with a good quality wood glue ( http://www.elmers.com/product/detail...ilterPath=wood ).
    4. Spread the split with a #0 or #1 slot screwdriver just enough to inject the glue into the crack the full width and length of the crack.
    5. Clamp with a spring clamp such as a Jorgensen 3203 http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-3203...ef=pd_sim_hi_1 (readily available at hardware stores). 2 or 3 clamps may be needed depending on the length of the crack.
    6. Wipe excess glue off with a damp cloth or sponge.
    7. Let cure for at least as long as the glue instructions say.
    8. Reassemble the camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin