Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,930   Online: 943

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon F1 (old) - cleaning up the prism

I recently got a Canon F-1 (old model) at a reasonable price from the Evilbay ($87 body only). As expected it came with melted seals and mirror bumper but for the price I paid can’t complain. I cleaned up the old seals and put in new ones. Camera is in good working order and I look forward to take it out for a spin. One thing bothers me though; I can see dust in the viewfinder right behind the eyelevel window. Anyone knows if the prism can be opened so I can access the eyelevel window from the inside and clean it up? Thank you
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not ever having worked on a Cannon, still a lot of cameras, if the pentaprism is like all the others, it can't be opened. Your dust may simply be on the other side of the viewfinder glass, which is easy.

Shooter
    35mm
    At the following site, you can download a scan of the Canon F-1 Repair Guide:

http://www.baytan.org/prak/canon.html

Section 1.6 provides info on removing the cover on the eye level pentaprism which should give you access to the eyepiece and pentaprism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Yeeski, that s very helpful.

Tom, rest assured I cleaned up the viewfinder glass on the outside. What I see is on the inside, whether it is dust or a multitude of little stains - hard to tell.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    Thank you Yeeski, that s very helpful.

Tom, rest assured I cleaned up the viewfinder glass on the outside. What I see is on the inside, whether it is dust or a multitude of little stains - hard to tell.
    That's what I meant--the inside of the viewfinder glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took apart and cleaned my F-1 prism years ago. Not terribly hard, especially if you follow the PDF that Yeeski has provided. The only thing I found confusing was the long rectangular metal piece that fits below the eyepiece with the prism removed (I believe piece #5 in the PDF). It's glued to the prism housing so will have to be pried off before removal. Once this is off, the prism housing should come right off. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Jim B.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin